Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Springfield Darkhorse
Weird shit going on today and i’d love some insight.
Trouble shifting gears for some odd reason.
Bike didn’t want to shift from second to third no matter how many times I tried. When it finally did shift it wouldnt go past 3rd unless I did a half down gear shift then try to go back up before it would work.
Super frustrating. Hopefully I described the issue well enough for someone to understand and lend a hand.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,152 Posts
2019 Springfield Darkhorse
Weird shit going on today and i’d love some insight.
Trouble shifting gears for some odd reason.
Bike didn’t want to shift from second to third no matter how many times I tried. When it finally did shift it wouldnt go past 3rd unless I did a half down gear shift then try to go back up before it would work.
Super frustrating. Hopefully I described the issue well enough for someone to understand and lend a hand.
Thanks in advance!

Two Questions:

1. Was the bike moving when you tried to shift
2. Has your clutch cable been adjusted lately.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two Questions:

1. Was the bike moving when you tried to shift
2. Has your clutch cable been adjusted lately.
Yes I was riding.
No clutch cable adjustments but the gear stiffer recall was done 400 miles ago.

·
Silver member
5,037 Posts
Perhaps, the recall dealer adjusted your clutch after the service. I would start there. I don't see the gear shifter indicator causing that problem. It has to be a clutch or cable adjustment...

Reactions: Baron58

·
Bronze member
4,152 Posts
Yes I was riding.
No clutch cable adjustments but the gear stiffer recall was done 400 miles ago.

You mean Gear Position Sensor recall.

The clutch cable should have no more play at the clutch lever than 1.5mm max (about he size of a credit card).

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
What is it like shifting between other gears?

Have your clutch cable carefully checked. It might be that it's losing strands and starting to stretch, which means it won't be long before it breaks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is it like shifting between other gears?

Have your clutch cable carefully checked. It might be that it's losing strands and starting to stretch, which means it won't be long before it breaks.
Thanks for the tip.
Is there a way I can do it myself?
Not a fan of that drive to the dealer if I can avoid it.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Clutch cables typically break just near the lever. There's a nipple on the end with a sleeve around it that sits in the lever. The intention is that the nipple rotates slightly as the angle of the lever changes, so that the cable is always pulling straight outwards. If that nipple doesn't rotate as you pull the lever, the difference in the angle is taken up by the cable itself bending slightly as it exits the nipple. That bending causes fatigue in the wires, so that's where it will probably break.

Sometimes a cable will just break, and other times it will lose a strand or two, then another, and then the whole thing goes.

If you pull your clutch lever you can see the nipple sitting in the cavity, but you can't see the cable itself. Checking it means loosening the adjuster, it's down the frame in front of your left foot, so you can take it out for inspection. Then you have to set the adjuster to the right tension again. It's easy enough but fiddly. Getting the adjustment right takes care.

My suggestion was only a guess at another option, checking for proper adjustment is the first thing to try.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a similar issue a while back - wouldn't downshift. I did find out however, that these machines can start out from a dead stop in 4th if necessary. Turned out the pedal was all gummy. Took apart and cleaned, new grease, solved. FYI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts