Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experiencing no gear selector displaying on the screen after the recall. I've put on a couple thousand kms since the recall and after stopping for some fuel today on a ride, the selector stopped displaying on the odometer dial and within the sub screens. Not a big deal, i kept riding with no issues, but I guess the bikes going back to get this checked out. Saw multiple threads on the recall but couldn't find anything about the missing display. Probably mentioned somewhere but I couldn't find anything

Thanks

Ron

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
That's a new one.

Does the motor still stop if you pull up and put the sidestand down in gear?
Does cruise control still only work in 4/5/6th or can it now work in 3rd?
These are both related to the gear position sensor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure Dr Shifty and great questions. I just went out and tried starting the bike with the stand down and the bike in neutral, nope she won't start I have to lift the stand to start her, I know I can run the cruise on gears 4-6, but I haven't tried 3rd ; not sure of I would ever run cruise in 3rd?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone else experiencing no gear selector displaying on the screen after the recall. I've put on a couple thousand kms since the recall and after stopping for some fuel today on a ride, the selector stopped displaying on the odometer dial and within the sub screens. Not a big deal, i kept riding with no issues, but I guess the bikes going back to get this checked out. Saw multiple threads on the recall but couldn't find anything about the missing display. Probably mentioned somewhere but I couldn't find anything

Thanks

Ron
Sounds like you were unlucky to get a defective brand new switch ... We've had 1 out of 40 or 50 so ... it happens ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same thing after the recall was performed. The dealer re-flashed the ECM with updated firmware which took care of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the same thing after the recall was performed. The dealer re-flashed the ECM with updated firmware which took care of it.
You can't even download the old software to your bike if it has the new switch in it ... Digital Wrench checks to be sure the new switch is in it before it will allow you to download the new software ... just sayin

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can't even download the old software to your bike if it has the new switch in it ... Digital Wrench checks to be sure the new switch is in it before it will allow you to download the new software ... just sayin
All I know is what the dealer service writer told me. Since I'm not a trained tech on these modern products, I'm kinda flyin' blind on someone elses plane.... Just sayin

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
All I know is what the dealer service writer told me. Since I'm not a trained tech on these modern products, I'm kinda flyin' blind on someone elses plane.... Just sayin

Some dealers never flashed the new VCM software after Installing the switch. They either forgot or .....who knows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same thing just happened to my '18 Chief Vintage. No gear indication, toggle to check engine warning. Otherwise, bike runs fine. Guess I'll take it in.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Not sure Dr Shifty and great questions. I just went out and tried starting the bike with the stand down and the bike in neutral, nope she won't start I have to lift the stand to start her, I know I can run the cruise on gears 4-6, but I haven't tried 3rd ; not sure of I would ever run cruise in 3rd?
If the bike won't start in neutral with the stand down it means that either the gear sensor is sending the bike the wrong info, which was the problem with the old sensor, or the updated VCM is not reading the sensor signal properly. The bike ran OK for thousands of kms so something has happened to the pairing between sensor and VCM.

We wouldn't normally run cruise in 3rd, but testing to see if it does it or not is another check on whether the sensor is sending the correct info in that situation to the VCM.

And with @Fnulnu saying his bike is now doing the same thing, I'm intrigued about what they come up with as the cause and whether both bikes are experiencing the same issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dr Shifty, I'll let you know what the stealership has to say, I have an appointment in two weeks, out and about riding on vacation right now so not going to cut it short for this issue. As long as I can ride, I'm happy:D

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
If the bike won't start in neutral with the stand down it means that either the gear sensor is sending the bike the wrong info, which was the problem with the old sensor, or the updated VCM is not reading the sensor signal properly. The bike ran OK for thousands of kms so something has happened to the pairing between sensor and VCM.

We wouldn't normally run cruise in 3rd, but testing to see if it does it or not is another check on whether the sensor is sending the correct info in that situation to the VCM.

And with @Fnulnu saying his bike is now doing the same thing, I'm intrigued about what they come up with as the cause and whether both bikes are experiencing the same issue.
Most likely a bad gear position sensor. There are confirmed bad ones in the new batches.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My friend riding a 17RM after the recall had the same issues. Tech said it was a flash thing and reflashed it the other day. I guess time will tell if that takes care of it.

Update: It didn't fix it. He's taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the bike back today, it was reflashed, so far so good, the only thing I miss was being able to set the cruise in 3rd gear! Great for when you hit the construction zones and the speed limit is 60kh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got the bike back today, it was reflashed, so far so good, the only thing I miss was being able to set the cruise in 3rd gear! Great for when you hit the construction zones and the speed limit is 60kh
Just sayin....

·
Registered
21 Posts
My gear shift display stopped displaying yesterday. Is the reflash a quick fix as I'm on 5 day road trip and will by a dealership tomorrow and dont want to waste 1/2 day sitting in waiting room.Thanks

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
The bikes never allowed cruise control in 3rd gear. Only 4,5, and 6 and above 20 mph. And it won't let you lug it either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My gear shift display stopped displaying yesterday. Is the reflash a quick fix as I'm on 5 day road trip and will by a dealership tomorrow and dont want to waste 1/2 day sitting in waiting room.Thanks
It is a quick fix but it all depends how busy the shop is, I would finish your trip and wait till you get back, like I did

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your probably right but I find it really annoying everytime I put the kick stand down in neutral, it shuts off the bike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts