Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought the RM in for the recall for the gear position switch. 1hr later and the ECU is flashed and the 4 digit PIN was reset. So the part, 2208606, is out there, just a matter of your dealer is up and running. Ours is open for no contact service.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the VCM gets flashed with the new switch install. Are you sure it’s the ECU? Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Papanorm, that's what I was told by the dealer before I picked her up, the ECU was reflashed and I had a new 4 digit PIN. What does VCM stand for?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Papanorm, that's what I was told by the dealer before I picked her up, the ECU was reflashed and I had a new 4 digit PIN. What does VCM stand for?
I believe it stands for vehicle control module. Craig B put his Vin in the recall notice and it came back replace gps switch and flash VCM.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Papanorm, our local Indian dealer just amalgomated with Yamaha/VStar Marine and Sports, so there might be a learning curve with terminology etc. I watched as the service dept Rep tried opening the side saddle bags on my RM by trying to activate the hinges lol. In their defence, it the first Indian on for servicing. :p:p:p:p

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
The ECU controls the engine and the VCM controls the rest of the bike. Since the switch is a safety lockout to keep the engine from starting in gear, the ECU can be left alone.

HTH

·
Registered
569 Posts
The ECU controls the engine and the VCM controls the rest of the bike. Since the switch is a safety lockout to keep the engine from starting in gear, the ECU can be left alone.

HTH
Thanks for clearing this up, I put my VIN into the recall and it came up replace switch and flash the VCM

·
Registered
569 Posts
Papanorm, our local Indian dealer just amalgomated with Yamaha/VStar Marine and Sports, so there might be a learning curve with terminology etc. I watched as the service dept Rep tried opening the side saddle bags on my RM by trying to activate the hinges lol. In their defence, it the first Indian on for servicing. :p:p:p:p
Glad you were watching to teach him a few tricks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts