Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the gear position switch replaced under the recall notification for my 18' Springfield Dark Horse. Now the bike seems to run very hot. Took it our for a ride and not long after my seat felt hot and my right thigh became very, unbearably hot. The plastic right side cover is almost too hot to touch. I let it sit for about 2 hours then took it out for only 15-20 mins and same issue.

It was not this way before. Bike has not been hot. Not even in summer. My Scout ran hot so I know what that is. Still, the scout heat wasnt this bad. No idea is there's any relation to the recall or how they swap the part out.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just had the gear position switch replaced under the recall notification for my 18' Springfield Dark Horse. Now the bike seems to run very hot. Took it our for a ride and not long after my seat felt hot and my right thigh became very, unbearably hot. The plastic right side cover is almost too hot to touch. I let it sit for about 2 hours then took it out for only 15-20 mins and same issue.

It was not this way before. Bike has not been hot. Not even in summer. My Scout ran hot so I know what that is. Still, the scout heat wasnt this bad. No idea is there's any relation to the recall or how they swap the part out.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?
I would start your bike and maybe see if there might be an exhaust leak,I do believe they have to remove part of it to get to the sensor,but I couldn't see how the sensor would make the bike run hotter, but if you can't find anything I would bring the bike back pronto to see if there might be another issue.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have to take off covers and the heat shield but doesnt look like they have to take the actual exhaust pipes off. I've attached the pdf on doing the fix.

I wonder if the heat shield had some heat wrap on it or something that they removed and didnt replace?

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
They have to take off covers and the heat shield but doesnt look like they have to take the actual exhaust pipes off. I've attached the pdf on doing the fix.

I wonder if the heat shield had some heat wrap on it or something that they removed and didnt replace?
The sensor is under the drive belt cover where the drive sprocket is located ,they have to remove rear exhaust to get to it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The sensor is under the drive belt cover where the drive sprocket is located ,they have to remove rear exhaust to get to it.

There could be a possible exhaust leak and heat escaping ,might just want to check it out.

·
Bronze member
3,171 Posts
Did it go in during winter
Didn't come out till summer?

Sorry couldn't help myself,I'm sure dealers are quicker than that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha! No. Got it in for fix on May 5th and picked up end of that day. Just strange that it was fine until after they had it in the shop.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Since I too received a recall notice[actually I got two] and was supposed to get my neutral safety switch replaced this afternoon,but when I got there,the guys were all balls deep in work [spring is here,lol] so needless to say,it didn't get done.I could do it myslef,but ya need a digital wrench hook up so as to reprogram the ECM to accept the new neutral safety switch. What's happening is,the switch gives the operator a false neutral light, indicating the machine is in neutral,but in reality,some of em are still in gear,hence when the rider hits the starter button,thinking it's in neutral,the bike lunges foward, falls down and goes boom,but sometimes takes the rider along with it plus anything that may be parked in front of it.[MOST EMBARRASSING!! :eek: Mine has never done that over the two+ years and 34,000 miles I driven it,BUT,I have a habit,a GOOD HABIT,[one you guys might wanna get] of always pulling the clutch lever in when I do hit the start button,JUST IN CASE.Eventually,it'll get changed,just not right now!! lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from the dealer. They took a look and said they cant figure it out. The tech came over and told me that only the heat shields for the exhaust are removed to replace the gear switch. The exhaust itself are not. He took another look to see if anything was loose or the header bolts were loose. Nope.

They do flash the bike ecu, which I had already flashed with FuelMoto. I flashed it back and still... heat. Grr!

The only thing now I can think of is that it's the Rogue seat. I had the factory 2018 seat then replaced it with the rogue. It's a different fit. Maybe the less-wide sides now allow the heat to travel up instead of the wider oem seat pushing the heat behind me? I'll have to wait for a hotter day and put the old seat back on.

Stay tuned!

·
Bronze member
1,227 Posts
Dr Mustard with a rogue seat, in the workshop ! lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. They took a look and said they cant figure it out. The tech came over and told me that only the heat shields for the exhaust are removed to replace the gear switch. The exhaust itself are not. He took another look to see if anything was loose or the header bolts were loose. Nope.

They do flash the bike ecu, which I had already flashed with FuelMoto. I flashed it back and still... heat. Grr!

The only thing now I can think of is that it's the Rogue seat. I had the factory 2018 seat then replaced it with the rogue. It's a different fit. Maybe the less-wide sides now allow the heat to travel up instead of the wider oem seat pushing the heat behind me? I'll have to wait for a hotter day and put the old seat back on.

Stay tuned!
Make sure you have the updated tune since they did the reflash I had to get a new tune from fuel moto the old one isn't compatible

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
So if I've never had a problem should I forget the recall.??
the problem is most likely the issue will creep up in the future.
Some of the techs I have spoken with said that the majority of the issues were on bikes in the coastal areas and salt oxidation was the big culprit.

the old switch design didn’t leave enough room for resistance variances causing incorrect gear reading. The new switch will allow for more variance to better weather changing resistance values over time.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Stay tuned!
I've heard others complain about serious heat after upgrade to stage 1 and Indians flash card makes the engine run real lean thus making there seat feel like its on,,,usually the cure is to rich it up with a fuel management system, you do an upgrade?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Dynojet FuelMoto flash. I thought their flash may have messed with it so I re-flashed it again yesterday. However, I didnt think their maybe a newer flash out there Good point. I'll check with them.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
I have the Dynojet FuelMoto flash. I thought their flash may have messed with it so I re-flashed it again yesterday. However, I didnt think their maybe a newer flash out there Good point. I'll check with them.
If you were able to re flash your bike with the FM tune then there are no new changes for the ECU. A tech replied that during the gear position recall, the VCM is flashed and the ECU is checked for the lastest rev, if it is not current, the ECU also gets re-flashed.

If the ECU is re-flashed with a new revision, then all custom tunes will not work and cannot be re-flashed because the new tune checksum will not match the custom tune. You then would have to reformat the PVCX/PV3 and then do a ECU read and send the new PV info file and factory tune as well as your custom tune to FM so they could change the checksum valve so the custom tune will work with the new factory tune.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had the recall done today and was out in an hour. No issues with the fix, but I did have to reset my personal pin. I let the dealer know to let other customers know their personal pin needed to be rest as they said they were unaware of this. I'm replying to this thread because it seems my bike runs hotter too after the fix. I reviewed the shared pdf and agree no exhaust connections were opened except for the heat shield removal. I'll check all of the exhaust connections after the bike cools. BTW I had taken the lowers off prior to this ride which was about 180 miles round trip and that helped with the hot foot but not the inner thigh even with a Capt Itch Cooler.

·
Registered
375 Posts
So if I've never had a problem should I forget the recall.??
I've seen no issues and my service guy said unless one pops up let it be. That said, I always start my bike in the saddle, clutch lever activated and trans in neutral. Safer than my current COVID precautions

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the recall done yesterday. About an hour later the service manager came to me with an issue. After replacing the switch they did a flash of the ECU. The issue now is when my bike is in first it reads 6 gear. When my bike is in 6 it reads 1 gear. Polaris factory tech service is not working Saturdays so I was SOL. Road the bike home no issues other the it won't let me use cruise control because it thinks I am in first gear when I am really in 6th.

Anyone hear of the issue after their recall work?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
Someone here posted a new switch is coming out to replace the new switch....... They took their bike in and the dealer said Polaris is changing the switch again. Don’t know how true that is with many getting the recall done in the past few days

1 - 20 of 63 Posts