Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the recall notice for the new gear position switch.
My switch is still working normal at 30,000 miles.

I have a BBK on a 2016 CDH with a Craig tune.
Should I switch the tune back to stock Indian BBK tune, if I get the recall work done?

·
Rider
662 Posts
There’s no need to. Nothing is getting hooked up to the bike. Bike cools down, slip ones come off and they replace the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,817 Posts
Part of the recall is new firmware for the VCM. The tune is in the ECM which shouldn't be overwritten unless corporate dictates all dealer visits check and return ECM to factory setting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The new switch requires all controllers to be updated. Did a bike with a custom tune in it and it threw codes until I reflashed it with a stage 1 indian tune.
The recall reflashes the vcm the instruments and the ecu.

·
Bronze member
1,237 Posts
Yeah. I suspect that every time an Indian goes to a dealership, they're told to hook it up to Digital Wrench. But the bigger question is; Do they have to putz with the existing tune? Or can they just read codes and make service records for the factory's edification, without making changes to the bike?

My Roadmaster is misbehaving, caused by the tranny gear switch. I'm going to have the recall done, but I'm going to bring my PVCX with me just in case they do mess with the installed tune (which is from Dynojet).

Some riders are reporting that their Starter PIN gets wiped out or changed when the recall is done. Resetting pin after recall notice...

I keep my PIN in my cell phone and I'm going to ask the dealer about it and, if necessary, reset it there.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
The new switch requires all controllers to be updated. Did a bike with a custom tune in it and it threw codes until I reflashed it with a stage 1 indian tune.
The recall reflashes the vcm the instruments and the ecu.

Are you sure about this? According to the tech documents only the VCM is re-flashed not the ECM. That being said I have heard on Facebook that some have had the ECU re-flashed destroying their custom tune when the gear position sensor was changed.

If indeed Indian is re-flashing the ECU guys with the PV-CX/PV3 will have to do a read on the ECU just like they did the first time they used it, and then send it to FM for an updated checksum update so their custom tune will work.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
I talked to a service tech that I trust. He just completed his first recall and said they Digital Wrench only touched the VCM for the update. Now, some service tech's might go ahead and check for any ECU updates while there are connected.

I would restore the STK file to the ECU if it is a calibration that will work with your setup and be prepared to do a READ ECU if your current tune is not taking. (They updated the ECU and the Tune CMP/Checksum changed).

If you are running a bike that cannot go to the STK file (different cams in bike, etc), then discuss this with your tech and make sure they do not do an update to the ECU.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am getting scared. Took mine in for the recall and Tech broke the bolt holding in the switch. Then broke the tool in the hole trying to remove the bolt. Today is day four.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I talked to a service tech that I trust. He just completed his first recall and said they Digital Wrench only touched the VCM for the update. Now, some service tech's might go ahead and check for any ECU updates while there are connected.

I would restore the STK file to the ECU if it is a calibration that will work with your setup and be prepared to do a READ ECU if your current tune is not taking. (They updated the ECU and the Tune CMP/Checksum changed).

If you are running a bike that cannot go to the STK file (different cams in bike, etc), then discuss this with your tech and make sure they do not do an update to the ECU.
I just got mine back from dealership they called and said the fuel moto tune wont work with the update I need to get new tune plus quoted me 4800 for big bore kit so I'll be calling you for your services to custom tune my stage 2 bike

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
I just got mine back from dealership they called and said the fuel moto tune wont work with the update I need to get new tune plus quoted me 4800 for big bore kit so I'll be calling you for your services to custom tune my stage 2 bike
Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah. I suspect that every time an Indian goes to a dealership, they're told to hook it up to Digital Wrench. But the bigger question is; Do they have to putz with the existing tune? Or can they just read codes and make service records for the factory's edification, without making changes to the bike?

My Roadmaster is misbehaving, caused by the tranny gear switch. I'm going to have the recall done, but I'm going to bring my PVCX with me just in case they do mess with the installed tune (which is from Dynojet).

Some riders are reporting that their Starter PIN gets wiped out or changed when the recall is done. Resetting pin after recall notice...

I keep my PIN in my cell phone and I'm going to ask the dealer about it and, if necessary, reset it there.
my pin was reset when they did the recall work

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
So what I have found is on the gear position replacement is that along with the VCM flash some of the bikes are getting a new ECU tune from Indian and many are not. I would guess that the 2020/2019 bikes are just getting the VCM reflashed because the current stock tune is up to date. But Older bikes are getting updated to a new ECM tune as well. So like Craig said, if the bike will run on the older stk file tune, re-flash back to stock and then follow the steps to get a new read and info file and get the tune updated by fuel motto.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When doing the reflash for the new gear position sensor the reflash is the controller updates so if the ecu is out of date then the reflash also does the ecu. When the vcm gets reflashed it wipes out any rider pins and shows you the master pin.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts