Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the new gear position indicator switch replaced? What did they have to remove to do the change out.
Does the VCM or ECM have to be updated and most of all, did it solve the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work in the KC shop, let me ask my tech in the morning. I know one of my sales guys was getting the false neutral and hasn’t had any issues since getting it done so I think it’s safe to say it did it’s job

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had it done a week or so ago and yes ECM has to be reflashed. I did not have any problem with mine so no change but they had it and the bike was in for service so got it done.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,124 Posts
Many threads on this

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
It can be done without any major tear down, but does require a tricky tech with some special tools. I have serviced my sensors via the more laborious way by removing exhaust and covers etc.. Apparently the replacement sensor part entails additional software updates that a simple cleaning and replacement does not require.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I took my Chieftan in to get stage 2 work and they mentioned that I have this recall open. They did the stage 2 work, but didn't do the recall because they wanted to charge me 1.5 hours of labor. Their reasoning is that I have aftermarket pipes so they have to charge to remove them. I bought the pipes from the dealer (they're Freedom Performance) the same day I bought the bike. They were included in the original financing. Does this sound right that I should be charged or should they take care of it? Indian is responsible for making a bad part not me.

·
Bronze member
5,124 Posts
I took my Chieftan in to get stage 2 work and they mentioned that I have this recall open. They did the stage 2 work, but didn't do the recall because they wanted to charge me 1.5 hours of labor. Their reasoning is that I have aftermarket pipes so they have to charge to remove them. I bought the pipes from the dealer (they're Freedom Performance) the same day I bought the bike. They were included in the original financing. Does this sound right that I should be charged or should they take care of it? Indian is responsible for making a bad part not me.
that’s not Indian, that’s your dealer yes the gear position recall is 100 percent covered by Indian, but if a aftermarket part makes it difficult to access the part then there could be an issue. The stock exhaust doesn’t have to be removed to change the sensor.

This is shitty customer service from your dealer especially since you are doing stage 2 work with them (giving them more money) .

·
Registered
110 Posts
that’s not Indian, that’s your dealer yes the gear position recall is 100 percent covered by Indian, but if a aftermarket part makes it difficult to access the part then there could be an issue. The stock exhaust doesn’t have to be removed to change the sensor.

This is shitty customer service from your dealer especially since you are doing stage 2 work with them (giving them more money) .
not only did i do stage 2 work with them, i had a starter on my scout replaced too, i don't really like this dealer, but the next closest is more than an hour away, this one is less than 10 miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.