Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Just starting to ride my new-to-me 2015 Scout. There's no display of what gear you're in, even though there's a place on the left to show that, and there's a brief mention of the indicator in an unrelated section of the owners manual. Seems like somebody told me that in the 2015 model it wasn't an operational feature. Seems doubtful to me. Is that true? If so, can the gear indicator function be retrofitted without too much trouble? Please advise, thanks, Chris

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
There was no gear indicator on my 2015. I think they added that in 2017. Not sure if you can retrofit one or not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea 2015 doesn't have it, I did mount my PV3 above the speedo and it shows the gear on that (pretty easy option if you have or are planning to get that)

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
After you ride long enough you won’t even think about what gear your in, you will just know. Listen to your motor. For your own ( motorcycling) good don’t depend on things to tell you what to do and when. Try riding out on Less traveled Paved Farm market Or Ranch roads and just lose yourself/ get wrapped up in the Experience. Soon you will find such things as What gear am I in ? As second nature and won’t even think about what gear your in, you’ll just be in the right one for the speed/hill/wind resistance , situation your in.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There was no gear indicator on my 2015. I think they added that in 2017. Not sure if you can retrofit one or not.
My 2016 sure does have a gear indicator - so it must’ve been only the first year models

·
Registered
442 Posts
After you ride long enough you won’t even think about what gear your in, you will just know. Listen to your motor. For your own ( motorcycling) good don’t depend on things to tell you what to do and when. Try riding out on Less traveled Paved Farm market Or Ranch roads and just lose yourself/ get wrapped up in the Experience. Soon you will find such things as What gear am I in ? As second nature and won’t even think about what gear your in, you’ll just be in the right one for the speed/hill/wind resistance , situation your in.
I totally agree with you and my Sixty is the first of many bikes in my almost 50 years of riding that shows me the gear I’m in. Great feature if you have it, but my Bonnie doesn’t and I love her (almost) as much as my Sixty ;):eek::)(y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, but I'm used to my old 3 speed hand shift Indians and thought it would be good to know which of 6 gears I was in. As I ride it more I'm just using the rpms to judge what's needed; no problems. Also, I've noticed the shifter feels solid in first and sixth so that helps tell me where I'm at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts