Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am curious if anyone else is having this issue. I had the Gear position indicator recall done in July, since then, and I had noticed it until the trip to Sturgis, but the bike will not start until the gear position is in Neutral, period. I have tried with the clutch and in gear, kick stand up and down and it will not start. I concideer this as unsafe, because if your in a traffic situation on a grade or some other instance where you cant or it is difficult to stop and put the bike in gear to start it.

Has anyone had a same of similar issue where they are unable to start the bike while it is in gear?
If no one else has encountered this issue, what is the fix?

·
German Rider
2,141 Posts
No, but maybe a defective clutch switch. Coincidence ? Could be.....
Should start in gear, with clutch pulled, but won't start in gear with kickstand out, even with clutch pulled.

Cu,
Sven

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I had the recall done a few weeks ago while the bike was in for stage 2 cams. For giggles I just went out to the garage and tried it. My '15 Vintage does start while in gear, clutch pulled, kick stand up. I agree with you, bike should start in gear with the stand up. I'd contact the dealer and let them know it needs to be corrected.

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Rider
1,048 Posts
Same thing for me

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The switch under the clutch lever can sometimes gum up with road grime and cause the problem you have. A bit of WD40 and working the lever a bit can free it.

It's #4 under the cover #5

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
687 Posts
My clutch switch was broken on the 3rd time I ever rode my bike (with your exact symptoms). Dealer said he had done a few of these and that it was an easy thing to replace, ends up in my case the assembly was stripped from the factory and I needed the entire assembly replaced. Bottom line, yes I had the problem and it was the clutch switch. No problems since that fix so far.

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks All. I will check the switch when I get a minute. Garage is a mess with the bike and lots of boxes and a boat in it. Gotta clean it out so I can put a 1973 corvette in. Making room is a ***** sometimes.

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, if you don't have room for that '73, I do ;-)
HAHAHAHAHHA I will be making room. LOL Thanks Anyway I have owned it for over 10 years and it was in the body shop in Ohio. They didnt take care of it nor did they repair what was supposed to have been fixed. So I went and got it, now its my turn.

Reactions: TedMan

·
Bronze member
1,429 Posts
I’ve had the gear position problem for some time now. Indicating wrong gear, slow changing indicator and sometimes when trying to start I get a dash instead of a gear. But bike generally starts with the clutch in anyway so no big deal. When it still wouldn’t start, I used Dr. Shifty’s advice and cleaned the clutch lever switch. That cured it. But now I get the dash and no starting with the clutch in, even after cleaning it again. Unless someone (I hope) has another idea, I’ll have to somehow drag it down to the dealer, who is fairly busy and may take some time to get the work done. Any suggestions welcome.

·
Bronze member
2,612 Posts
My Stage 3 2016 Roadmaster never had the issue until a few weeks ago. My suggested not doing the recall unless I had issues because the Stage 3 tune was glitchy.
Anyone else done the recall on a Stage 3 bike?

·
Bronze member
4,872 Posts
My Stage 3 2016 Roadmaster never had the issue until a few weeks ago. My suggested not doing the recall unless I had issues because the Stage 3 tune was glitchy.
Anyone else done the recall on a Stage 3 bike?

You can clean the sensor when it starts to get bad.

The recalled sensor isn't any different other than they switch 2nd gear and 6th gear, so when it acts up again, it will most likely show 6th gear and the bike wont start.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In case you missed this thread.....

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts