Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Custom Dynamics Magic Strobes Blake Flasher system on the Scout today. I checked operation after installing and all seemed fined - the brake light now flashes when activated. I put the fender back on and went to start up the bike. In all gears, the indicator shows "--" except in neutral when it indicates "N". When I took it our for a test ride, all gears indicated "--".

Upon return, I switched the wiring back to the way it was prior to putting in the Magic Strobes. No change - all gears indicate "--" except when in neutral when it shows "N".

Also, in both wiring configurations mentioned above, sometimes the bike will start in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in and sometimes in won't.

Does anyone have any ideas of the cause of this issue and a possible fix? I'll call Custom Dynamics on Monday to see if they have any ideas.

·
Bronze member
4,666 Posts
My guess is that you have a plug that is not connecting.

The gear indicator on the Scout is a software thing where the computer matches engine rpm and wheel speed. That is why it normally only displays the gear when you are moving. There is also a separate switch that comes on when the bike is in neutral. I think Indian calls it a gear position switch but it's only for neutral.

The neutral switch is working OK, but something else is causing the gear indicator problem. Check any plugs that you have disconnected to make sure they are back together properly.

The bike starting in gear with clutch is another problem and easy fixed. There is a switch in the clutch lever that sometimes gums up with road grime. Pull the lever and you should see in there somewhere a little stub poking out. Squirt some WD40 in there and push the stub in a few times to loosen it up.

It's 18 months since I owned a Scout so am a bit hazy on the placement of the plugs etc. There is a pdf service manual on the forum somewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts