Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nothing would stop me from getting a Scout! :cool: I don't need a gear indicator but if one was available, I'd definitely be interested.

·
Registered
558 Posts
This is about the only decent looking solution I've found:

Programable Gear Indicators

Let me know if anybody has found something better.

My concern is the 5 year warranty and making modifications that void that. Gear indication is going to require some splicing in to the electrical system. I'm not much interested in personally messing with motorcycle electrical/electronics though I'm very capable. But the last thing I need is a mess and Indian turning their back on me.

I still say it is right there in the instrumentation cluster (look in the manual where they talk about the error codes), just not active either because they haven't activated it or didn't provide some of the electronics. Maybe they just took the Chiefs cluster picture from the manual to easily make the Scouts manual?

Who knows. It's a very minor request and I know others are sick of hearing about it. Honestly, if I had my choice, I'd take the "miles to empty" or a gas gauge over the Gear Indicator. I don't think it's unreasonable in todays world to offer gas stats so you can plan.

Sure, gas is everywhere until you need it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've never needed one, but I'd love to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with Fred g. Much rather have a digital fuel gauge...Hoping it finds its way on production models before they ship (wishful thinking, I know)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay,
Well, I used to drive a 5 & 4 & 2 heavy hauler diesel rig. Unmarked Twin-Sticks (5 spd main, 4spd aux.), without a tach and no double-clutching...that is without the clutch (except from a standstill), and certainly no gear position indicators,
if that means anything to anyone.
I don't hear good, so audibly, the variation in rpms was/is quite difficult for me to distinguish. I'd drive by feeling the engine's vibration through the transmission which was supplemented by what I could hear. Same trick is done here.

My personal opinion is that while the gear indicator sounds handy, and probably is for some people, the tachometer would be far more useful. Even then, after awhile, one gets to know the feel of the gearshift's position per gear selected
and the feel of the engine and road speed. The one thing that I can personally think of, how someone might find the indicator useful is for convenient quick and easy visual confirmation reference. However, familiarizing one's self with road speed, engine vibration, (and tach if equipped) and feel of the foot position is part of getting to KNOW the bike. For others, though, eyeballing a tach is out of the question, also, so they learn to do without both.
Ok, that's a given and we're back to square 1.

I personally like the idea of a typical side-by-side speedo-tach mechanical (now electromagnetic pulse) needle type cluster, typical of most bikes from the '70s and '80s. For things like engine monitoring, etc monitoring, a digital cluster is
adequate preferably offering both accurate numerical figures and auxiliary idiot warning lights. Otherwise, in short order, for the sake of factory continuity, an oe matching needle tach instrument w/hour meter, peak/average tach, peak/average speed, A/B trip/Odo. A/B Lap time.

What I think would be cool and very useful information, is sat tracking. Where all the data can be logged, retrieved and reviewed on the pc or whatever.
Big city commuters can determine, at a glance what their avg commute time is, avg time above idle, avg speed above/below x speed. things like that that can help them determine the fastest, most fuel efficient route to and from work.

Oh.... and my tach idea allows for the OE digital tach to be reconfigured as a decimal or fractional fuel gauge. (That should make folks like Fred a happy clam, eh Fred?)

Another idea I had for the tach were colored cardinal LED rpm points that light up at each 1000 rpms above idle. 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k, 8k with flashing redline, that could be read at a fast glance, dimmed and/or turned off.
I am reminded of those faceless watches and clocks. A programmable shift-light with default.

As near as I could tell, the Scout uses the same basic speedo cluster as the Chief Classic and Vintage. Some minor functional displays may differ. I know the Chieftain and up use a different set of gauges.

Anyway, I think a pretty nice full compliment optional OE Accessory speedo/tach cluster could be developed for the Scout.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Think of all the bandwidth wasted on gear indicators and fuel gauges on this site.

It staggers the imagination! ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Think of all the bandwidth wasted on gear indicators and fuel gauges on this site.

It staggers the imagination! ;)
I know! How do you suppose a simple "would like to see..." turned into a complete thread. It boggles my mind Automatic Slim! ;)

Seriously.
My feelings exactly Everythingsounds! See what I have to put up with on this forum?! No respect for the Gear Indicator or a Gas Gauge! Who'da thunk!!! :cool:

I'll tell ya a secret... Don't tell anybody else... Webmost really wants one in a bad way. You see, he complains a lot about me and Mycool talking about it but in all honesty that's a cover up. He is envious that he didn't mention it first. I'm just say'n!!!

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Never had a Gear Indicator until got the Victory Cross Country 2 Years Ago and while I don't mind having it I sure wouldn't pay extra for one after managing 43 years without it and many times No Tach either ..

·
Founding member
1,068 Posts
While looking for any information at all on when I might expect delivery of my Scout, I found this web site. That was about a week/ 10 days ago. I can't stop checking it. Such a new world to me. Thank you all for such good entertainment and some actual information. This being my first entry in the world of online forums. (My second post) I'm not sure of all the protocols so I'm just going to answer several threads all at once as long as I'm here.

I feel that I should contribute to this thread first. So here it is.

Remember those old outboard gas tanks with the gas gauge in the cap, That concept will work with our new bikes, I've also figured that one our mechanical geniuses brothers can Rube Goldberg a linkage to an 1,N,2,3,4,5,6 handled bar mounted gauge. Here are a couple of doctored photos of my concept. I'm thinking that I have now settled both of these issues. Remember if you want these things you can have them. We are living in the 21st century.

Gas cap gauge.JPG gauge 1.3.jpg gauge 1.4.jpg

As to the other threads I'm interested in contributing to:

Handle Bars... Yes I'm a fan.

Deposit... Yes 9/17 (refundable)

Break In... Let's see the Motoman break in scenario sounds like a ton of fun and as far as I can find no one has complained that it has damaged motors. The Indian factory plan sounds fine. But I'm going at it ala Motoman, plus it's probably going to be as we like to say around here "wicked cold" when I get my Scout. My break in riding will be weather permitting. So I'll need to make the best of the my opportunities.

Swayed... yes I was definitely Swayed by the Scout. It was the right time for me and by far the best looking, modern semi high tech bike I've seen, and at a price that I can get past my personal live in banker (wife).

Reconsidered...NO

Small Bike... I'm 6,1 220 ish. I would have been shocked if that put me out the sweet spot. And both my test rides were a blast. I think that the size is a state of mind thing. I think 85% of all people could ride a scout comfortably if they were so inclined.

Two tone paint... done one that already.

1st year plan... Miles, and Miles. First trip, after things thaw out check out the mountains in North Carolina . Do any of you know when the roads in western North Carolina loose their winter covering of sand and gravel?

Delivery countdown... Always hopeful when I check that one.

Color...Thunder black Scout. No options. Going minimal.

That covers it for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Cameramanx, great post. Wecome to the forum!

I totally agree with much of what you wrote and one thing in particular that I've thought about a lot as I've viewed this site - almost daily since I pre-ordered my Scout. And I quote: "Small Bike... I'm 6,1 220 ish. I would have been shocked if that put me out the sweet spot. And both my test rides were a blast. I think that the size is a state of mind thing. I think 85% of all people could ride a scout comfortably if they were so inclined."

Size truly is a state of mind thing. I'm constantly amazed at how bikes keep getting bigger and heavier. I remember when the original Triumph Bonneville and Harely Sportster were considered BIG bikes - and now you put them next to almost anything and they look almost tiny. I rode several thousand mile days on my BMW K75c which weighed about 550 pounds, same as the new Scout, but many people consider that way too small for serious touring. Could cruise at 75 (faster if I wasn't afraid of tickets) all day long 2 up and full luggage without breathing hard with 750cc's. I'm not putting anybody's opinion or preference down - it's just so interesting to see the huge difference in the opinions as to what is big and small.
:cool:Keep riding and be safe!

·
Founding member
1,068 Posts
Gordon Thanks
In January I rode 1100 miles in Vietnam on a Honda XR 150. I had to sit with my ass all the way back up on the raised passenger end of the seat. It was as much fun as any ride I've ever taken. For Vietnam we had big bikes, when in Rome put on sandals.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Remember those old outboard gas tanks with the gas gauge in the cap, That concept will work with our new bikes, I've also figured that one our mechanical geniuses brothers can Rube Goldberg a linkage to an 1,N,2,3,4,5,6 handled bar mounted gauge. Here are a couple of doctored photos of my concept. I'm thinking that I have now settled both of these issues. Remember if you want these things you can have them. We are living in the 21st century.
Twinhit has competition!

... "wicked cold" ...
Ah, a fellow New Englander!

You'll enjoy it! Good group out here and a few lovable cranky people.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts