Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of making a big old bobber out of my bike and I've decided I want to see about the viability of moving gauges up to the riser between the apes. Has anyone done this yet? Trying to determine how in depth this is going to be if I do it. Thanks all

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
If you can fabricate some sort of nacelle it should be an easy relocation. The gauges are held in place with simple brackets, each one has it's own plug, and the wiring comes up the front of the tank. As long as there is enough reach on the loom it's only a matter of designing or finding a housing.

I've thought about something similar - fabricating a dash that sits above the headlight as a mini fairing, but without the bulk of the Chieftain full fairing. I figured a Chieftain dash could sit in there to save me from having to make up a new panel.

·
Registered
372 Posts
So are you planning on using an HD peanut tank or modifying the Indian tank? I'm pretty sure there is hole under the gauge cover you'd have to fill in. Can't wait to see the finished product

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
So are you planning on using an HD peanut tank or modifying the Indian tank? I'm pretty sure there is hole under the gauge cover you'd have to fill in. Can't wait to see the finished product
It was more an idle thought than a plan. The speedo in the current position is often too glary from sunshine for me to see it easily and I figured the different position would help. I hadn't thought about using a different tank, but leaving the existing console and filling the spaces with something, maybe a little nuclear power pack like Tony Stark wears on his chest. :)

I retired a few years ago and there's a part of my brain that still operates like I'm at work and comes up with ideas, but the rest of my brain is more indolent. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I was thinking of modding factory tank depending on how much it takes. I’m kinda leaning towards putting a club style fairing on it cause I commute so far and don’t like any windshield for it. But again more workdue to that nacelle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don’t see why the tank would need to be modified, just get the console cover panel from a chieftain or roadmaster. Since they had the gauges in the fairing, the console piece on the tank(where Springfield/vintage gauges are) just has power button and switches for locks and heated grips. Pretty sure there’s enough wiring under there to move the gauge, so just figure out how to mount it and get a chieftain/roadmaster tank console to get rid of the hole.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good idea, I didn't think about that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know! Pulling stuff apart is on today and tomorrow’s list to see what all I’m getting into.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts