Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Gauge lights

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lexmedic84364 
#1 ·
I know I’m not the only one who has trouble seeing the gauges on the Springfield at night because of the red background light, I pulled the gauge off the bike to see if I could change the bulbs but it’s a sealed unit. Anyone know if there’s a way to change the light color? I don’t want to crack the unit open and risk damaging it, hopefully someone here has some insight.

thanks

#2 ·
Touchy subject actually. Your only option (practically) is to change to a black speedo. I couldn't be happier that I did. Keep the old one as the mileage stays with the speedo (worst design ever!!) Your new speedo will show zero miles. Some have had dealers note this on their bike's file for resale. Others plan on disclosing in the case of resale.

I just wanted to be able to read it at night

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, got a pic of yours at night so I can see the difference? Not sure I like the idea of starting back at zero on the speedo, not that I have any intent of selling, but if I did I think people would be leary if the idea and not trusting the true mileage.

#4 ·
Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument Tachometer Auto part

Maybe. Be honest with them. Keep records and the speedo. Disclosure to any potential buyer. In my case, in mid 19’ I bought a barely ridden 16 DH that had about 975 miles. Rode another 800 then swapped because its a ball of fuzz at night. Plus a little color blind

For me, it’s about safe operation first.

#5 ·
View attachment 591894
Maybe. Be honest with them. Keep records and the speedo. Disclosure to any potential buyer. In my case, in mid 19’ I bought a barely ridden 16 DH that had about 975 miles. Rode another 800 then swapped because its a ball of fuzz at night. Plus a little color blind

For me, it’s about safe operation first.
Wow! Huge difference maybe I’ll do that, I was hoping for a blue light background but that does look sweet! Thank you

#7 ·
Since changing mine out to blackface, I have been very happy. The red-to-yellow colored alerts were subdued on the old one, but really pop on the black backround - Instant read and eyes back on the road. I grabbed a pic of my old one, showing the mileage, before pulling it. Also wrote the prior mileage on the back of the new one in white sharpie. Changing the unit out is about as simple a job as you can get on these bikes.

Reactions: pope
#11 ·
I don't worry about it too much. I never look at my speed. I just ride hard and fast, :p

#12 ·
Happy New year everyone! i know this post is a bit aged but i wanted to let everyone know in case they go looking to change the color as i did. The inside is in fact Led lights, but worse they are SMD Micro Led lights , something like 2mmx2mm little square flat lights, soldered to the board in very small soldering points , still possible i thought, i don’t mind soldering and electronics but besides there are 10 of them for the speedometer including backlighting the LCD screen they only have a voltage of 1.6v due to red led ones only require a forward voltage of 1.5 and up to light , the blue ones are in the area of 2.3v up to 3.3v so even at 2.3v the blue is not very bright. i’m not one to go looking for the resistors that limit the voltage so i’ve come to Realize how much i do like the red ones lol, not really but definitely can live with it, now you have limited room but there is enough to solder some reg style leds and wire them directly to their own 3.5v source but i wasn’t sure about heat from the lights and possibly melting or warping the gauge dial since it’s a plastic cover that is held by adhesive. well anyway hope this helps i’ve also included pictures . btw this is for a 2017 springfield. i’d assume the others are the same.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.