Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m not sure this is the correct sub forum to ask on here, but I was wondering if anyone might know why I’m having these issues?
For reference, about a year or year and a half ago, I replaced the battery on my 2016 Chief DH for the first time since I bought her new. Unfortunately in the past year I haven’t done much riding, and only in the last 6 months I finally bought a battery tender. Recently I was riding and noticed my speedometer had stopped working. Shortly after that I noticed the gauge backlight flickering. Well fast forward a month or two later, I was about to ride to work early one morning and my gauge started flickering again, and then my headlight and running lights both started flashing on and off.
I checked all my connections to make sure I had no loose wires. My battery read about 11.6 or 11.7 volts before starting it up, and once it started stayed right around 13v
I’m sure it’ll be asked, but when I was changing the battery I did take special care to keep the VCM safe, and did not disconnect it.
Could my battery have died that quickly?

·
German Rider
2,006 Posts
Yes, everything below 12 Volts is way too low. Some battery's die over month, others from one day to another.....

A good battery should read out about 12.3 to 12.6 Volts after switching ignition on, just before pressing the starter button.

Seems, that you need a new battery.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, everything below 12 Volts is way too low. Some battery's die over month, others from one day to another.....

A good battery should read out about 12.3 to 12.6 Volts after switching ignition on, just before pressing the starter button.

Seems, that you need a new battery.

Cu,
Sven
Thank you, Sven!! I will look at getting the battery replaced ASAP!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts