Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Another question for all the experts and wizards out there. Soon after I purchased the bobber I noticed that the mirrors were banging into the fuel tank. There appears to be no damage to the actual metal, it is more of a smudge or paint dent. Any ideas on how to remedy this problem, besides repainting the entire tank. Would using a heat gun (very carefully) work? Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated. It is such an eyesore.
upload_2019-2-22_8-56-40.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar issue on the top of my tank, more like a light scratch. Hoping someone has expertise with the matte finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
559 Posts
all of the matte paint is very difficult to maintain, on cars, trucks or MC, it looks great for awhile but tends to go downhill fast

·
Registered
690 Posts
Indian sell matte black paint in a spray can . Maybe you could sand down the bad spot , and paint it .

Also I'm going into a Body shop on Monday to have my bike painted I know the owner and the painter I will have him look at your pic and see if its an easy fix and something you could do . All let you know what they say

·
Registered
690 Posts
I talked to a painter today . He said it really difficult with matte paint to just sand the bad spot and paint just a small area . You would see old paint next to new paint . You would need to paint most of the tank

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I
I talked to a painter today . He said it really difficult with matte paint to just sand the bad spot and paint just a small area . You would see old paint next to new paint . You would need to paint most of the tank
I think you would have to paint the tank even with gloss. It is such a small area and your eyes take the entire area in at the same time. Cars can get away with blending over a large area not so much on a tank.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I

I think you would have to paint the tank even with gloss. It is such a small area and your eyes take the entire area in at the same time. Cars can get away with blending over a large area not so much on a tank.
The results with gloss, are talent based.
It's plenty do able, would just depend on the "do-r"...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for checking on the paint issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Indian sell matte black paint in a spray can . Maybe you could sand down the bad spot , and paint it .

Also I'm going into a Body shop on Monday to have my bike painted I know the owner and the painter I will have him look at your pic and see if its an easy fix and something you could do . All let you know what they say
Never I say, Never use a spay can ! You would be better off cutting a piece of Matte Black Vinyl and sticking over the blimish.

Dave let me know what the paint shop is charging to repaint your bike, just curious .

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you want an ugly finish on a new ride,just park it outside for a month or so. It will be the same matte all over, just like some people think is attractive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts