Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with a service manual confirm proper removal procedure for the gas tank?

I spoke to two different techs, and one says if you try to pull off the hoses, you could destroy the fuel system due to pressures, etc. and have to relieve the pressure in the system before removal of hoses.

The other tech said that it isn't that complicated and you can remove hoses as needed. Everything should be on top, just be careful of the chrome gauge set, since it wraps the tank, if you aren't careful you could scratch the tank with the corners of the chrome gauge plate.

I plan to get my own service manual, but haven't done so yet. I appreciate any help that you can offer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just removed mine to install Indian A/C. I didn't completely remove the gauge set, draped it over the head light with a soft cover. Below is a YT vid. showing (the basics) of removing the tank from a Classic to install PCV. It was enough, I got mine off with no problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I wasn't sure, since I am used to older bikes that have no gas gauge, reserve petcock, and carburetion. I didn't want to blow out seals or something horrific like the first tech described.

The second tech, by the way, said, "These bikes are the easiest bikes I have ever worked on. They're dead easy! Once you get the tank off, you'll see that there is a cable tray like something from a computer room. All the wires are exposed, and I can tap into whatever I need to when I work on a customer's bike. The harness isn't all taped up like we're used to."

Needless to say, I was impressed. He also recommended that I use the cable tray when I am ready to put in a USB charging port when I get the handlebar bag for my Vintage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts