Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m a Vic guy and have crossed the fence to Indian in December. After three cold winter months I have 1,800 miles on my new 2019 Chieftain. I pretty much love most every aspect of the bike.

However, my gas milage is horrendous. My combined milage is only 33.7 mpg.. My Vic Magnum had some motor work and was pushing 120hp and getting 46 mpg routinely. The Chieftain is a dog with 78hp and only 33mpg? I will be riding long distance this summer and might not of bought the bike if I would have known I was only going to get 33mpg. That equates to a lot of gas station stops on 1,000 mile trips.

What kind of gas milage should I expect with a 2019 Chieftain?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 2017 RM and it get about the same. Even after a fuel motor tune. Went back to the factory down load.

I have had several goldwings over my life. Running at 80 milage is not much better.

I have test mpg several time on trips. Milage is better around 70. About 38 mpg.
Its the nature of the beast I think.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
944 Posts
You will find that people with stg2 and stg3 will have higher mileage. My 2018 116 under the right conditions will get over 50mpg. My trip 2 has never been reset and it's 40.3 with over 11,000 miles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Resibrew, that's great millage. I have stage 2. Did you do a down load from someone other then the dealer. What speeds do you run to get that mpg?

·
Rider
952 Posts
I have the Indian high performance air intake and American customs sound bomb slip on's with a de-cated header. Other than that the bike is bone stock with 10,800 miles on the meter. I have never reset the trip meter and I am averaging 42.7 miles per gallon. I routinely see well over 50 MPG on the freeway cruising at 70 mph. I am adding stage 3 cams and a PV3 so I am thinking I can get around 50 mpg on average out of it with the mods. That is if I can keep my wrist from twisting!!:p:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
So I’m a Vic guy and have crossed the fence to Indian in December. After three cold winter months I have 1,800 miles on my new 2019 Chieftain. I pretty much love most every aspect of the bike.

However, my gas milage is horrendous. My combined milage is only 33.7 mpg.. My Vic Magnum had some motor work and was pushing 120hp and getting 46 mpg routinely. The Chieftain is a dog with 78hp and only 33mpg? I will be riding long distance this summer and might not of bought the bike if I would have known I was only going to get 33mpg. That equates to a lot of gas station stops on 1,000 mile trips.

i

i had my chieftain for 3 yrs and about 15,000mi. When I first got it I was getting mid 30s but after 1500mi or so it went up and normally got mid 40s to 50mpg. My Roadmaster with 5,000 mi is now getting about the same mid 40s -50 mpg. Hopefully yours will start getting better.

·
Rider
1,073 Posts
My 2016 Chieftan with Stage 2 Indian cams, Rinehart Slimline Dual Exhaust and Rinehart 4" Slip-on for Indian Touring, VooDoo intake, and PV3 with CraigB Stage 2 tune gets 47 mpg at 70mph on 2 lane highway, on Interstate at 85 mph it drops to 40mpg.

Best part is it's running 50° + cooler, and runs extremely strong and smooth

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone’s input on your milage. I have Slip-Ons now and have bought Stage 2 cams. I‘ll be getting the air filter and tuner once I get back to work. Hopefully, I’ll be getting the kind of milage you guys are getting!

·
Rider
944 Posts
Resibrew, that's great millage. I have stage 2. Did you do a down load from someone other then the dealer. What speeds do you run to get that mpg?

it's a @CraigB1960 tune I get that mileage with the cruise on 55-65 mph through the mountains of Arizona. Speed varies or I would have left it alone. I have a buddy with stg2 he gets about the same with a dyno jet download.

·
Bronze member
1,965 Posts
With your low mileage I would guess your AFRs are way off. Too rich IMHO. A correct tune will pay for itself over time.

Reactions: Wyobob44

·
Registered
259 Posts
2019 Chieftain with 1k total mileage.
FFFB52BC-B3E1-4C8D-958E-75D852BA0FC2.jpeg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Hueypilot, is your Chieftain stock or stage 1? I’m just a little jealous!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I have a 2018 SDH,bought brandy new.It now has 33,000 miles showin on the clock and is bone stock.The worst mileage I've gotten out of it to date was 42 mpg,and that was bucking a pretty good head wind at legal highway speeds.The best mpg I gotten out of it was 55 mpg,cruising around 50- 55 mph mark on open secondary roads,with little or no traffic. I do not drive it hard and up shift the machine around the 16-1800 rpm mark.My point is: If you drive it hard,modify the motor,wind the motor up on rpm,constantly, and or drive it at constant high speeds,then naturally,mpg will suffer,no matter what make or model machine you own.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
I see you have Tour Mode selected and was wondering, are there are significant gas mileage differences between the 3 different ride modes?
I have not noticed any difference in power or gas mileage but It really reduces the sensitivity of the throttle.

Tim

·
Rider
747 Posts
I have chased the MPG ghost around for a couple years on my 17 Springfield. My MPG stayed about the same when I added stage 1 exhaust, & stage 1 AF. It also didn't really change when I started making tune changes with the PVCX. It did however, drop 1-2 MPG with stage 2 cams and additional tuning. What I experience is a reduction of another 1-2 MPG in the colder months, but that is also based on frequent resetting of my MPG meter, and the fact that a lot of my riding in cooler months is to work without as much pleasure riding. To work is about 6 miles hwy and 4 in town and I get about 36-37mpg (resetting meter every fill up). In the summer, that same riding is about 38-39mpg. I presume its due to the cooler temps and the engine running a little richer, and also may be influenced by the summer / winter fuel.. My highways are really open and I cruise 75-80. When I ride in the mountains of NM or Co. I can get mid 45's with my setup. When I am cruising in beautiful back roads of TX, I get 40-42mpg. But, when you get these bikes on the open road and you're moving 80+ your MPG is more than likely going to be under 40mpg.

·
Bronze member
1,965 Posts
Reactions: Baron58

·
Registered
63 Posts
When your average speed is 31 MPH 48 MPG should be expected.
2019 chieftain classic: Stage 3, pv-3(still working on perfection) de-cat, lloydz air box and V&H pipes. 38mpg. Figure it’ll be better once I get the tune dialed in. Riding 2-up @70-80mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 60 Posts