Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 chieftain limited I bought it new. When I check my oil it's full to the top of the sump at time when I remove the dipstick oil runs out. The dealership said that I had put to much oil in it. But I haven't put any in it yet it's like it's making oil

·
Registered
741 Posts
You could test it by having the dealership change the oil and then keep a tab on levels. When it increases go back in?

·
Rider
1,060 Posts
The only way that the oil level goes up if there is something wrong with the fuel injector.
If this be the case it will put raw fuel in and it gets past rings and into motor raising oil level.
This type of problem if this is what it is the problem is bad because the raw unburnt fuel washes the oil off the piston walls.
does it smell slightly from gas or is it really strong odor? You will know the difference if this is the case.
If this oil level is indeed rising while you've been riding it then its definitely the fueling issue
Maybe the Dopey Dealer overfilled it from the beginning?

·
Bronze member
3,352 Posts
The only way that the oil level goes up if there is something wrong with the fuel injector.
If this be the case it will put raw fuel in and it gets past rings and into motor raising oil level.
This type of problem if this is what it is the problem is bad because the raw unburnt fuel washes the oil off the piston walls.
does it smell slightly from gas or is it really strong odor? You will know the difference if this is the case.
If this oil level is indeed rising while you've been riding it then its definitely the fueling issue
and as touchy as these bikes are... you would be throwing codes left and right... my money is on the dealer over-filling it... if they did it... do it yourself so you know... if the problem still persists you need to get a warranty claim in asap..

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yup, buy an oil change kit and change it yourself. Monitor the oil level closely and then you will know.
Really strange to see what you have going on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
How do you check the oil? Following a long 2 hour high speed run, I once pulled into a service station put the bike on the stand and pulled the dipstick to check the level, oil poured out under pressure like it was overfilled.

Once hot the bike should be left for 2-3 minutes to allow the pressure to settle and oil to return to the sump, if you pull the dipstick with the bike on the stand immediately after shutting down, oil will erupt from the fill hole, this is normal hence the complicated Indian oil check procedure.

Ensure the engine is hot, turn off and wait a few minutes, sit on the bike to keep it upright and level then pull the dipstick, wipe, insert fully remove and check level.

If this is the procedure you are following and it is still overfull, then there is probably too much oil in it, you could also confirm this by removing the air filter cover and checking for oil in the housing. I doubt you have gas in the oil this would show up as a drop in fuel consumption and drop in performance if fuel can somehow find a route to the sump.

As a start point ensure you are checking the level correctly, if it still appears overfull I would change the oil and filter and refill with the correct amount of oil, if following a run it's still overfull (when checked correctly) then I would get concerned and consult the dealer. But my guess would be incorrect check of the level or its been overfilled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The oil level was right when they changed it. The level has been increasing the more I ride. It has a light smell of gas. The only thing I can figure is that there is a fuel injector problem. That's the only thing I can think that could be causing the problem. Does anyone know of a way to check for a injector problem.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The oil level was right when they changed it. The level has been increasing the more I ride. It has a light smell of gas. The only thing I can figure is that there is a fuel injector problem. That's the only thing I can think that could be causing the problem. Does anyone know of a way to check for a injector problem.
Kenny, I had a FI 351 in a Ford one time that developed a tendency to fill the crank case with raw fuel.. I was told over and over again by dealership mechanics that it was injector related.. After tinkering with it for weeks/hours (cause they could not figure it out) I finally discovered that the vacuum controlled regulator on the fuel rail had a small tear in its internal diaphram and under high vacuum the diaphram would allow raw fuel to be sucked into the crank case.. $15 part and my van ran like a new one!! One of the things that helped me diagnose that it was NOT the injector related was the fact that my plugs looked good (had good color) and the engine ran great.. Ya gotta remember that if an injector is dumping fuel, it is going to run fat = really really fat.. Black smoke fat if it runs at all.. If the fuel is bypassing the combustion chamber and filling the case it is definitely not an injector.. Quick question,, is your bike a California model? I just checked a parts fishe for your bike and other than the Cali models, I do not see a vacuum control fuel pressure regulator.. I do see a lot of vacuum parts/evap parts for Cali models that possibly could cause issues like you are experiencing.. Hope this helps some and all the best with your repairs/figuring it out!! Cheeze

1 - 14 of 14 Posts