Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rider
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the gas gauge needle to not go to the full position after filling the tank? I picked up my bike from the dealer yesterday after having had the recall done and filled the tank this morning before taking a ride this afternoon. The needle never went past the 3:00 position on the gauge. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on causes or solutions?

Thanks,
TR

·
Rider
550 Posts
How many miles on the bike, how did you fill up without going for a ride, can? Was the bike level or leaning over, was the ground level where you filled it?

·
Rider
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem resolved.

I rarely fill up at a pump and had filled up from a can in the garage (I keep two cans - a 5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon) before I rode. My ride is always on the kickstand when I fill. After having ridden about 125 miles I re-filled the tank, turned the bike on and sure enough, the gas gauge needle went all the way to the farthest position on the right side of the gauge.

Must have been those ethanol gremlins.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
More than likely your fuel float is going bad as mine did that and got progressively worse. The problem is the float and fuel pump are one assembly and a couple years ago it was $300.00 to repair.

Reactions: hankharmony
1 - 5 of 5 Posts