Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey is your gas gauge fussy? Mine showed nearly empty tonight then jumped to quarter tank. I filled it up and it never went to full it showed like 85% full.
Anybody else.................?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Yeah, fussy pretty much describes it.

The fuel will read real low when the bike is on the kick stand.
Then when you pick it up the gauge will read slightly higher.
The last half of the tank drops a lot faster than the first half.
Sometimes it takes a long time before a fill up moves the needle to full.

Also, if you are on the Range reading of the speedometer window, at about 50 miles or so it will just change to "Low Fuel" instead of giving you a mileage reading.

Before this bike I had a Harley Road King...also fuel injected...and that gauge was fussy too. Because of this, I was not too surprised to find the Indian gauge fussy.

I always set one of my trip meters to zero after a fill up. Around 120 to 130 miles I begin to look for a station. As long as you keep track by your mileage this gauge thing will not bite you in the butt. Don't ever bet on the fuel gauge.

Reactions: BapaLO

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I wonder whether the "miles to empty" range adjusts frequently based on the fuel consumption. As the fuel consumption rises (eg, climbing up mountains) the range falls dramatically. When I hit the flat land, the range to empty rises again. Weird!

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,765 Posts
I wonder whether the "miles to empty" range adjusts frequently based on the fuel consumption. As the fuel consumption rises (eg, climbing up mountains) the range falls dramatically. When I hit the flat land, the range to empty rises again. Weird!
It does fluctuate. If you continuously reset your average mpg, it will have a greater fluctuation due to having less data to compare. I haven't reset my average mpg since new and it's holding at 39.9. I think that is what my "miles to empty" is using.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know yet if the fuel quantity is measured by a float or a capacitance based system, but I'll assume, for now, a float. A float has a volume and size of whatever it is. It will float, of course, on top of the fuel. The top of the float will hit the top of the tank before the tank is actually full so that the fuel level will have to reduce for a while before the float comes off the top of the tank. That's why it takes time for an indicator to come off full.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I concur. When I returned home last night my read 1/4, this morning it showed empty. After a 10 mile ride to a gas station is was just below 1/4 with a 50 mile range. Probably best to fill up every 150 miles or so.

·
Registered
723 Posts
There is definitely a plus/minus factor thing happening but I would rather have it than the old mileage counting routine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Being a 40+ year aviator, I'm conditioned to never trust a fuel quantity indicator. I'm a time and distance kind of guy. It shouldn't take too many fill-ups and rides to get your mileage sorted out using varying conditions. Sounds good, right? But I ran out of gas just a few miles north of Ft. Bragg, CA three years ago and had to drain some gas from my riding buddy's Harley into an empty beer bottle and pour it into my tank to get to the next gas station. I had to eat crap for four days on that one. The tables turned when his Harley blew up in Amarillo on the way back to TX.

The best part? He had to rent a U-Haul truck to get his Harley home and I rode along with him on the way back (never leave a buddy behind and all). We pulled into a Wendy's in Wichita Falls, TX to get a bite and I was in front of him a ways (that's Texan talk). So I pull up and park on my Kawi 1600 Vulcan Classic, and as I'm putting the kickstand down an elderly gentleman walking by admires my bike and asks, "Is that a Harley Davidson?"

"No, sir." I respond. "It's a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic. Harleys like to ride in the back of U-Hauls.....much like that one over there." as I pointed to my friend just pulling up to park. We all dream of moments like this, but we seldom get to actually live them. Ride on, ride safe, and the world is better on two wheels than four.

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
After a fill up I watch my range slowly increase. It takes a while for the gage to indicate a full tank.

Kinda like the 1200 RPM "bump"just takes a bit of getting used to.

I can go about 200 miles on a tank but about 100 before I need a walk about.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Being a 40+ year aviator, I'm conditioned to never trust a fuel quantity indicator. I'm a time and distance kind of guy. It shouldn't take too many fill-ups and rides to get your mileage sorted out using varying conditions. Sounds good, right? But I ran out of gas just a few miles north of Ft. Bragg, CA three years ago and had to drain some gas from my riding buddy's Harley into an empty beer bottle and pour it into my tank to get to the next gas station. I had to eat crap for four days on that one. The tables turned when his Harley blew up in Amarillo on the way back to TX.

The best part? He had to rent a U-Haul truck to get his Harley home and I rode along with him on the way back (never leave a buddy behind and all). We pulled into a Wendy's in Wichita Falls, TX to get a bite and I was in front of him a ways (that's Texan talk). So I pull up and park on my Kawi 1600 Vulcan Classic, and as I'm putting the kickstand down an elderly gentleman walking by admires my bike and asks, "Is that a Harley Davidson?"

"No, sir." I respond. "It's a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic. Harleys like to ride in the back of U-Hauls.....much like that one over there." as I pointed to my friend just pulling up to park. We all dream of moments like this, but we seldom get to actually live them. Ride on, ride safe, and the world is better on two wheels than four.
Good riding with your Harley buddy story.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes it does. I'd like to fully understand the math that goes into this calculation. But I think I can surmise the following: If you've been on flat land and you have 50 miles to get gas and your range says you have 55 miles of fuel remaining, you may be alright. But if that last 50 miles, or even 10 miles, is uphill, your mileage will now drop and you will be pained by watching your range reduce to well below the distance to the next gas station. This is a bummer. If you believe you can make your next planned stop, I recommend resetting your mileage. It will now more closely indicate your present economy and consumption and, in my experience, remind you that I really shouldn't have passed that last station.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I 100% agree with Daddy-O. On a complete top off, I get 204 mile range on the computer. When I hit 1/4 tank, it isn't long before the Low Fuel light comes on. If your out on the road, it would serve you well when you hit 125 to look for a service station. If I could change ONE thing on my Chieftain: it would be a 6 gal or better yet, a 6.5 or 7 gal tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts

OMG...THAT'S GREAT!!! *LOL* Bummer about the bike, but you know the old sayin': When the crows start crowin'....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Three of us Vintage riders in Tucson have had issues with the guage. Mine pegs out in the 6 o'clock position when filled, and varies by 25% of the range during the trip - mostly flat land. My bigger issue is that the range cuts to low fuel just when you need it most - below 50 miles remaining. Seems odd. Dealership did some work on it, adjusted capacitance settings with different volumes in the tank. Finally ordered new parts that have not yet come in. Bike is a 2014 - a month old. I'll post again if the new parts help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts