Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a restriction in the gas filler neck that doesn't allow many gas pump nozzles from seating against the tank. When using these pumps, I have been afraid to fill tank all the way as I'm afraid pump won't shut off. I'm sure someone has experienced this. Will pump actually shut off or will the unthinkable happen?

·
Registered
57 Posts
ij,, no problemo with the shutt off thingy. I top off my tank(s) so as to get that last, believe it or not, there is another 1/2gal capacity-volume past the bottom of the bowl on most tanks. I top em off. if your careful with a pump that doesnt have too much pressure, you can BURP your tank several times. just wait a moment, sometimes jiggle the bike. i didnt say shake it. yep it will burp and you will see plenty room to add more Go Juice.
this probably isnt important to most folks as they never go below half tank anyway. I tend to run mine (am down to 3 sleds) till they cough. an extra half gallon is sometimes the diff 'tween pulling up to the pump or coasting that last 1/4 mile.. hey everybodys gott their something.. this just happens to be mine. poncho
ps. I think I went 240 miles last tank, am rite at 43mpg consistant.

·
Founding member
961 Posts
I'll go a step further, I LOVE the design of the filler neck! I put the nozzle in, hold it and squeeze the handle about half way, and when the nozzle clicks off the gas is right up to the top of the neck! Great design and no spillage. I wouldn't squeeze the handle all the way but great design.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is the best gas fill design I have used and I have owned lots of different brands. Stick the nozzle right on the restricter and let her blow as fast as possible. It shuts off perfectly. Once in awhile I'll find a high pressure pump that can't be opened wide. I learned not to fill it past the restrictor because it will leak out the overfill, but all the way to the restricter is perfect, easy, and fast. LOVE the design.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ps. I think I went 240 miles last tank, am rite at 43mpg consistant.
Wow. What is your secret? I've only had mine for a couple days and this was my first fillup, but I only got 32mpg on that first tank. Maybe after the 500 mile break-in period it will get better?

Also, thanks for this post regarding the nozzle restrictor. When I gassed up for the first time today, I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it working. My last bike the nozzle went all the way in like a car. Took me a while to figure out how this one worked, and like others mentioned, I was afraid to fill it up all the way for fear the pump wouldn't shut off. I'll try to trust it next time. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree great design. I have never had an overfill or spashout. Hard to believe that HD hadn't thought of that one. I've splashed out several times with my HD that I no longer own.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
This thread right here bares witness to the need to return to the days of the trained professional.
"You can always trust your car to the man with the star. The big red Texaco star".

Never once in all my years of watching Mayberry do I remember Goober asking Barney, even once, about gas filler neck problems.
That's because Goober was a professional. He was a Journeyman Craftsman who carried himself with pride and dignity.

But I do recognize and acknowledge the bleak economic conditions that we are all operating under. Two or three cents a gallon to provide wages for a trained fuel dispersal technician is unreasonable and would amount to a luxury.

Ya know, America has a rich heritage of pitching in and putting our shoulder to the wheel in times of adversity. Remember the "Highway Heroes" of the 50's? Fleets of commercial truckers who roamed the highways and byways of our nation. Ever ready and on standby to help motorists. The Knights of the Road.

With this post I would like to institute the call to volunteerism for Indian Motorcycle Riders. I even have a special cape in mind that we would wear to signal our willingness and readiness to lend a helpful hand. Anywhere an old lady has a flat tire and is stuck on the shoulder of the road. Anywhere an illegal immigrant can't read the writing on a road sign or gas pump....we are there to help!

Your wife just thinks you are "out riding". No need to share the truth with her. No need to let your wife and kids know that you are now serving a higher calling.....Become an Indian Road Warrior today. You will be fully trained at your local gas station. Once you have your Fuel Disbursement Certification in hand, you can take to the roadways to set up your post at any filling station in America.

We do not recommend that you accept tips however we do allow the public to reimburse our expenses. Training, certification, and uniform cape are not free....but they are a small price to pay.

Join today.
Become an Indian Road Warrior.
Once you enjoy an exciting shift of standing in the gas station watching people spill toxic fluids out onto the ground....well, you will know that this is what you were born to do.

See your Indian Motorcycle Dealer today and sign up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This thread right here bares witness to the need to return to the days of the trained professional.
"You can always trust your car to the man with the star. The big red Texaco star".

Never once in all my years of watching Mayberry do I remember Goober asking Barney, even once, about gas filler neck problems.
That's because Goober was a professional. He was a Journeyman Craftsman who carried himself with pride and dignity.

But I do recognize and acknowledge the bleak economic conditions that we are all operating under. Two or three cents a gallon to provide wages for a trained fuel dispersal technician is unreasonable and would amount to a luxury.

Ya know, America has a rich heritage of pitching in and putting our shoulder to the wheel in times of adversity. Remember the "Highway Heroes" of the 50's? Fleets of commercial truckers who roamed the highways and byways of our nation. Ever ready and on standby to help motorists. The Knights of the Road.

With this post I would like to institute the call to volunteerism for Indian Motorcycle Riders. I even have a special cape in mind that we would wear to signal our willingness and readiness to lend a helpful hand. Anywhere an old lady has a flat tire and is stuck on the shoulder of the road. Anywhere an illegal immigrant can't read the writing on a road sign or gas pump....we are there to help!

Your wife just thinks you are "out riding". No need to share the truth with her. No need to let your wife and kids know that you are now serving a higher calling.....Become an Indian Road Warrior today. You will be fully trained at your local gas station. Once you have your Fuel Disbursement Certification in hand, you can take to the roadways to set up your post at any filling station in America.

We do not recommend that you accept tips however we do allow the public to reimburse our expenses. Training, certification, and uniform cape are not free....but they are a small price to pay.

Join today.
Become an Indian Road Warrior.
Once you enjoy an exciting shift of standing in the gas station watching people spill toxic fluids out onto the ground....well, you will know that this is what you were born to do.

See your Indian Motorcycle Dealer today and sign up.
Go to New Jersey or Oregon both of those states have passed laws mandating that all gas stations employ attendants and that the attendant is the only one that can pump your gas........ as far as the ones that I have experienced..... I would NOT call them trained professionals....Gas monkey is a much more appropriate term. One that I spoke with in Portland Oregon was proud of the fact that he had NEVER been more than 25 miles away from the spot we were standing.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Oh yeah man, when ya get involved in a great and noble cause like this, the eyes of the world will be upon us. We will become role models for American youth. When you are in a high visibility position like this we will need both sidekicks and mascots. I'm thinking maybe even a Pep Squad....some little short skirts.....They would be charged with holding our capes back out of the way on a difficult fill-up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Never wear a cape. Capes will get every superhero hurt, or worse.

Also never trust anybody in a tunic.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Go to New Jersey or Oregon both of those states have passed laws mandating that all gas stations employ attendants and that the attendant is the only one that can pump your gas........ as far as the ones that I have experienced..... I would NOT call them trained professionals....Gas monkey is a much more appropriate term. One that I spoke with in Portland Oregon was proud of the fact that he had NEVER been more than 25 miles away from the spot we were standing.
Reminds me of the family I met at Yokota Air Base getting ready to leave to go home after three years in Japan and they were proud of the fact they had never left the Air Base in their entire three years. When I asked why? They said they were scared that they might get lost outside the base because none of the signs were in English...true story, I shit you not!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts