Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thunder Works has a new product. It is a small bracket that holds your gas cap while you fill up. Many of the 111's don't have a good place to put the cap. This mounts on the side of the engine and is visually minimal but it holds the gas cap secure. You can use it while sitting on the bike. It is available at www.IndianAftermarket.com If you order $200 (not including shipping) you can get a free Gas Cap Holder through May15th, 2017 Just place your order for other things, then send an email requesting the free bracket. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Hate to have it drip on hot exhaust..........would have picked a better place like maybe away from motor...but otherwise great idea !

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I'll pass too, sorry, but plain old UGLY !

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
Definitely out of place and ugly IMO. If I was worried about the gas cap I'd just put it on the floorboard. As it is I put the cap on top of the pump. Never had a problem before. Of course now that I said that...

But good luck selling them anyway. The great thing about bikes is everyone likes doing something a little different.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
all of my motorcycles have come with a gas cap holder pre-installed........

it's called.....your seat. no need to spend a nickel on something not needed.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,071 Posts
I can tell you EXACTLY how much it costs to replace...$92 including shipping! Now it goes on the seat instead of the top of the pump!
Did the same thing with my GW's gas cap. That was an expensive lesson to learn. Now I put it on my seat so I can see it.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have tried all of these techniques including placing it on top of your glove on top of the headlight. They all work but this new design is the easiest and is requires about the same reach as the cap on the tank. By the time you stop for fuel there is no gas dripping from the cap. Plus gas needs the vapors to be ignited (with a spark) not just a hot surface. This solution is also the least likely to ride off and lose the cap. Not everyone feels the need but once you start using it, you wonder why it took so long to solve it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
all of my motorcycles have come with a gas cap holder pre-installed........
Sorry but most of the time I gas while on the seat then go or get off and go inside.. also cap falls off the seat and the foot rest

it's called.....your seat. no need to spend a nickel on something not needed.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,819 Posts
I use the gap between the brake lever and the handle bar. But I've wonder how long before I start seeing marks. This really is a solution for peace of mind all around. But I would like to see one in person just to see how ugly it looks then. In the video it doesn't appear THAT bad but things change in person sometimes. I bet a chrome one would blend in much better. Any chance that's in the works? Or stainless steel one we could buff to shine? But would it be worth it then. $20 isn't too but would they charge double for chrome? Then it might not be so inviting.

Pondering.

Reactions: Marcus

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chrome not happening. Too expensive for small runs. The black disappears so much I had trouble making the video. The black is actually less visible than chrome. The plastic actually tightens down as you screw it in, so you can make it secure as you want. This stuff is not designed by some engineer on salary. I design this stuff because I ride and I like to improve things. Everything I look at (bikes, cars, bridges, buildings), I think how to improve it. I can't stop thinking about everything. I am obsessed with improving things. After I design something I make prototypes and ride with it for awhile. I often discover what I did wrong and make it better. I don't expect everyone to agree with my ideas. (That is one of the great things about America.) Enough people purchase and like my stuff. This makes me happy. I don't worry about the attacks that come on forums. (Not referring to ndcowboy) Many of my products are unique. So they often get attacked at first. Then about 1-2 months later the orders start pouring in. This gas cap holder is not a money maker for me. However, it really is handy to use. I no longer stress about where to put the cap while filling up. They have names for people like me. Any way I hope some of you will enjoy my stuff. The others are welcome to make fun of it. Laughing and riding are among my favorite activities.
www.IndianAftermarket.com

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I had another comment I wanted to make. Some people refer to putting the gas cap on their seat while filling. This makes sense since many people get off the bike to fill it. Personally, I like to sit on the bike while filling. Make sure I top it off and not drip any gas, etc. And with the bike on the kick stand the cap can still slide off the seat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts