Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals
Can I use the cigarette lighter attachment on my Chieftain to power up my GarminZumo 660?
Melbourne Indian suggested I can but internet suggests not
Would also make it convenient to transfer it from bike to bike
Any help or suggestions welcome please
Ta
Bolly

·
Registered
230 Posts
Excuse me is a garmin sumo 660 a gps if so I'll tell you what you should do.throw it away as far as you can just ride freedom brother man sounds like you live in Melbourne ,well get the hell out of there as well move north good fellow some where warmer .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darren you are correct it is aGPS...
. Only ever use it navigating in bigger cities etc . For the rest It stays in the bag, discharging its battery. Hence question whether it can be plugged into cigarette lighter plug in the pannier to charge until needed instead of wiring it in.
The weather in Melbourne doesnt phase me, wet, cold or hot btw.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
On my RM there was a switched power plug on the left fork tube. I hard wired into that, solder and heatshrink. I assume a Chieftain has the same plug there, was held in place with a bit of black tape. The cigarette lighter type plugs are always hot, even when the bike is off, so as long as you remember to unplug you're ok.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi guys and gals
Can I use the cigarette lighter attachment on my Chieftain to power up my GarminZumo 660?
Ta
Bolly
I have a 2014 Chieftain and the power plug worked fine for me. I'm busy still trying to figure out the tech on the bike.

Reactions: Bolly

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,436 Posts
Hi guys and gals
Ta
Bolly
That will work perfectly fine. Yes that outlet is powered all the time. You simply turn off the Zumo when you don't need it. You want the Zumo powered all the time. If the unit loses power and you turn it off it will go thru a full boot up and takes quite some time before you are ready to go. If the unit stays powered and you only turn off the Zumo, the memory is till up and it will go thru a quick boot up and be ready almost immediately. Dean E

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi guys and gals
Ta
Bolly
I am making adapter cables for the 660 that interface directly with Chieftain/RM system. I am getting a feel for how many will be interested so I can buy the parts. My prototype works like a charm. PM me if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts