Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Been using Garmin products on my bikes since they were invented. Must have had well over 50.
I find the best unit for size, price, battery life, bluetooth, ruggedness, brightness in the sun, ease of use. Etc etc.
Is the Garmin 395. Have a couple.
Looked at a Zumo 396. Just looked like a cheaper Nuvi car sat nav.

Personally i would not buy a Zumo 590 or 595 again. I think they may have adjusted the software. It certainly isn't bright enough. So no point having a larger screen.

upload and share pic

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,018 Posts
I got the 595LM and it has been a love/hate relationship. The Bluetooth will fight between the RM and the Zumo when my bike is connected to my phone. The weather feature works when you have a good data reception on the phone but you can not zoom in much for more detail. Actually if you have a phone with good reception weather updates work better on the phone than the Zumo. The map detail and ability to find specific locations and stores is very good. The screen on the 595 is not very bright, hard to see clearly if the sun is shining on it. This was not a problem on my old Zumo 450. The old Mapsource program was very easy to use, the new Basecamp is a pain in the ass but you just have to work with it a while to learn it. I mostly use it for entering a specific route I want to take. One thing I learned was you have to use a lot of waypoints otherwise when you transfer it to the Zumo it can sometimes alter your route if it sees a better more direct route to take. Considering the price difference and what the Bluetooth stuff does not do very well I would buy the Zumo 396 for what you get unless you think the bigger screen is worth the price. I still think it is the best GPS you can get for a bike. Dean

·
Silver member
3,826 Posts
I've been using a Garmin Nuvi LM55. One ea. on my Vintage, Road King, and truck. Not real pricey and they work well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have a 595, I like it, but does have some issues. The brightness when in full daylight isn't great. I've replaced battery twice and it hardly stays on for a few moments once removed from power, and I had to turn off the voice to sena piece due to the volume spiking and making my ears bleed. But for directions and getting me places - can't fault it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you show a picture of how you have it mounted?

As requested....Tourtech 595LM Mount, a Powerlet handlebar mount with Ram Ball and power socket. I can plug in my heated gear or a USB adapter if I need to charge my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I Have a Garmin Zumo 660LM. Not a fan of it. Screen can't be seen in bright sun, just like a cell phone. Voice commands can't be heard above 30 mph, and can't get it to pair up with my Bluetooth headset about 50% of the time.

Touch screen is supposed to be usable with gloves on. Not with the unit I have. Newer models may have been improved, but if they are as expensive as mine was(approximately $650) I will not be buying another Zumo model when the one I have now bites the dust. I will likely give the Tom Tom GPS
a try next time.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have the 395. No complaints. Wired to the battery. Pops off it’s base so I can use it in my car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the 660 and it works great. I can see it in the sun very well and the touch screen with gloves is no problems at all.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have the Zumo 660 and it works well. I have no trouble seeing it in sunlight and I have it hardwired to the auxiliary plug so it plays through the speakers. What's not to like???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts