Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently read where some have used the button on the right grip to install a garage door opener. I just looked and the '17 and newer models have a knock-out in the faring for this. I was just wondering if I could install one on my '14 Chief Classic, and if so, how? I have no faring. See attachment.
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
German Rider
2,144 Posts
I dont know it for sure, but IIRC the wiring should be the same one those model like on the fairing bikes. So, If you find the plug/connector for garage door opener, ist should be possible.

Cu,
Sven

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
This may not be what you’re looking to do but have you looked into connecting you garage door opener to your Wifi ?
there are kits for around 50 bucks that will work on most door opener’s. That’s assuming you have Wi-Fi. You can put a app on you phone and open or close it from anywhere. You can also verify it’s closed. That’s helpful for people like myself who can‘t remember if you closed it or not.

·
Registered
452 Posts
the easiest way to do it is flash to pass a transmitter hooks up to your high beam headlight a reciever hooks up to your garage door pull up to your house you hit high beam, low beam, high beam and the door opens. same way to close it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've recently read where some have used the button on the right grip to install a garage door opener. I just looked and the '17 and newer models have a knock-out in the faring for this. I was just wondering if I could install one on my '14 Chief Classic, and if so, how? I have no faring. See attachment. View attachment 667454
I installed a momentary switch to the dash with a wire connected to my garage door opener. Local electronics store soldered it together for me. All in for about $30. I have a '15 Roadmaster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A little different option is to put a Mo Door in the bike (Mo-Door Motorcycle garage door remotes) then put the button wherever works best. I did that on my Chief and really like how it works!

Just a warning though, their transmitter box isn't that waterproof! Washing the bike caused the door to open/close a lot. Now before washing the bike put the transmitter box in a baggie (located on the battery under the seat).

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
728 Posts
Reactions: purpleride

·
Bronze member
1,341 Posts
I used the front switch on the right hand grip housing. Doesn't control anything on a Vintage. Easy as it gets. Cost me $15.

·
Silver member
5,519 Posts
I used the front switch on the right hand grip housing. Doesn't control anything on a Vintage. Easy as it gets. Cost me $15.
Same here on my '15 Vintage. I think a member here posted a "how to" along with a schematic showing how to wire in a garage door opener, or maybe a You Tube? Regardless, one thing for sure... I wouldn't have been able to figure it out all by myself lol.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,498 Posts
I've recently read where some have used the button on the right grip to install a garage door opener. I just looked and the '17 and newer models have a knock-out in the faring for this. I was just wondering if I could install one on my '14 Chief Classic, and if so, how? I have no faring. See attachment.
This is what I did on my Springfield. (19) Repurpose Right Trigger Button on Springfield | Page 2 | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)

Initially, the right button was only used on the Springfield when a TPMS sensor was replaced. Later there was a SW update that used the right button to read the tire pressure. But, since you don't have a TPMS sensor on your bike, you could do what I did.

Another option is to add a consol switch and add one there. I had bag locks and heated grips on my Springfield, so I didn't have an open location. However, I still think using the right switch is the way to go if it isn't used. I could ride up to my house and leave my hands on the grips and open the door as I approached it while in motion.

BTW- That's a good looking Classic that you have.

·
Bronze member
1,341 Posts
Same here on my '15 Vintage. I think a member here posted a "how to" along with a schematic showing how to wire in a garage door opener, or maybe a You Tube? Regardless, one thing for sure... I wouldn't have been able to figure it out all by myself lol.
The only tough part was finding the green wire. Here it is if anyone needs it.
Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Gas Wire

·
Registered
2017 Indian Chief Vintage
25 Posts
Even thou the right button isn't used on the non-faring bikes it is still contacted to the bikes wiring and tapping in to it could cause an issue. What I did was I got a heated grip switch (a lock switch for a chieftain or Roadmaster will also work) and ran leads to my garage door remote. The remote is under the seat by the battery and I just have the switch in the tank cluster. The left switch is for my heated grips and the right one the top opens the garage door. When I get to work tomorrow I'll check the part numbers for the switches for you. If the one I have will work I have an extra one you can have for cost of shipping if you want it.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,341 Posts
Even thou the right button isn't used on the non-faring bikes it is still contacted to the bikes wiring and tapping in to it could cause an issue. What I did was I got a heated grip switch (a lock switch for a chieftain or Roadmaster will also work) and ran leads to my garage door remote. The remote is under the seat by the battery and I just have the switch in the tank cluster. The left switch is for my heated grips and the right one the top opens the garage door. When I get to work tomorrow I'll check the part numbers for the switches for you. If the one I have will work I have an extra one you can have for cost of shipping if you want it.
Not sure what issue that would (or could) be. Been on my bike for 5 years now not a problem. A lot of us have done this and I have yet to hear of a single problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, that would be great.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Chief Vintage
25 Posts
Looks like the spare switch I have will fit your bike. You would just have to meter out which wires go to which button then tap your remote on to them. I think black and red go to heat up and black and white are for heat down. Personally I used the up button so its easier to push with out looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've recently read where some have used the button on the right grip to install a garage door opener. I just looked and the '17 and newer models have a knock-out in the faring for this. I was just wondering if I could install one on my '14 Chief Classic, and if so, how? I have no faring. See attachment. View attachment 667454
I put one opposite the heated grip button below the Speedo on my 17 DH. I had an extra button from the heated grip kit, soldered the wires to the garage opener. Working great for two years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts