Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

garage door opener

6K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  theMucker 
#1 ·
Can the 2014 chieftain be wired for the garage door opener?

#7 ·
I put a button switch on the dash (where one of the blank plugs are) and wired it to a small garage door opener. Two wires soldered onto the opener printed circuit board. I store the opener in the cubby on the right side of the fairing - that way I can change the battery when it is needed. Not too difficult if you can determine the location on the board to attach the wires. Looks like it's standard on the bike.

#15 ·
For $35, I found a very thin, Genie compatible remote at Home Depot that fits just under the small storage bin at the top of the faring over the radio. I like the Indian deal with a hole and wire already there (for '17 and newer) but not for the price. It does seem to be out of the weather but in a more awkward position. Saved a bunch of money, have a remote that is weather resistant and in a weather resistant location. I attached it with double sided foam tape. Easy to remove when the battery is in need of replacement and small/thin enough to still have room in that small bin for other small items.

#17 ·
I

Used a MO-Door. Been installed for three months works great. Switch is mounted in one of the accessory spots in the fair of my 15 Chieftain

Reactions: MilwDave
#20 ·
Another option.This works well for me. Doesn't get wet. Simple 2 sided tape that will peell off and not damage the paint.

Reactions: ClassicalWhit
#22 ·
It DOES look standard! The reason I chose right side instead of left side is because I have a large cupholder on the left side and would've had trouble accessing the button with my obstructionist iced tea in the way. I had tried one of the flat, illuminated buttons, too, but it was visually too obvious that it "went to" something, and I had trouble depressing it far enough on the rare occasions I wore thick gloves. For the "how to" aspect of the installation, I just followed this clever guy's instructions, changing his recommendations as needed to suit my motorcycle application!

Congrats to us BOTH on having a convenient and professional-looking way to get into our garages!

#30 ·
Mine is a Springfield, but I also hot wired a standard garage remote and attached it to an OEM switch that I had the dealer instal - where the heated grips switch would go on the console (but was unused for me). He said he had a few spare switches that had been taken off other bikes and did it for nothing!! I then ran the thin wiring down under the leather tank strap and placed the remote in a small plastic box in the space behind the left side cover. I did a full write up with photos for our home forum. If anyone wants a copy, I would be happy to post it.

It works great.

#31 ·
Th

That is actually a better placement than the stock location up under the fairing...I wish that Indian had thought to include a third switch location on the center console for a garage door opener.

Reactions: JuanPoopalot
#33 ·
I did much the same as ClassicalWhit but I got a remote from Home Dumpo that works with a small 12 volt battery. I opened it up, removed the battery and soldered on a couple of wires that were then connected to a switched 12 volt circuit inside the fairing and the dash mounted button.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.