Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Does the 2014 Chieftain not have the garage door opener harness behind the rubber plug on the right side inner fairing?

·
Registered
324 Posts
check into flash2pass it piggy backs off your high beam headlight and all you do it switch your headlight to high beam twice and garage door opens if you live in a gated community it will work for the gate as well

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,213 Posts
MoDoor is what I bought. Fits perfect into the blank slot in the fairing.

Reactions: reddsurion1

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,213 Posts
Parts catalog says 2017+. If you have the plug, pull it out. Harness is clipped to it. Either there or not.
2014-2016 does not have that plug. It’s that simple.

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
I put a button switch on the dash (where one of the blank plugs are) and wired it to a small garage door opener. Two wires soldered onto the opener printed circuit board. I store the opener in the cubby on the right side of the fairing - that way I can change the battery when it is needed. Not too difficult if you can determine the location on the board to attach the wires. Looks like it's standard on the bike.

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts
I put a button switch on the dash (where one of the blank plugs are) and wired it to a small garage door opener. Two wires soldered onto the opener printed circuit board. I store the opener in the cubby on the right side of the fairing - that way I can change the battery when it is needed. Not too difficult if you can determine the location on the board to attach the wires. Looks like it's standard on the bike.
Exactly what I did to my 2014 chieftain. I used a waterproof momentary boat horn button.

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
The Indian garage door switch is really nice and clean install for my 19 chieftain dh but at 159.00 wow! Indian makes sure to rape you on everything. And they want your business and want you to come back.
Just like harley, maybe worse.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The Indian garage door switch is really nice and clean install for my 19 chieftain dh but at 159.00 wow! Indian makes sure to rape you on everything. And they want your business and want you to come back.
Just like harley, maybe worse.
Is it easy to reach? It seems like it is in an awkward position.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
For $35, I found a very thin, Genie compatible remote at Home Depot that fits just under the small storage bin at the top of the faring over the radio. I like the Indian deal with a hole and wire already there (for '17 and newer) but not for the price. It does seem to be out of the weather but in a more awkward position. Saved a bunch of money, have a remote that is weather resistant and in a weather resistant location. I attached it with double sided foam tape. Easy to remove when the battery is in need of replacement and small/thin enough to still have room in that small bin for other small items.

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
Yeah 159.00 very pricey for what this is.
I think i might flip a coin whether we buy Indian or not. Youre paying out the azz for convienence and this is why the price is loaded so high because its all about convienence.
My openers are not genie compatable stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I
Can the 2014 chieftain be wired for the garage door opener?
Used a MO-Door. Been installed for three months works great. Switch is mounted in one of the accessory spots in the fair of my 15 Chieftain

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the same as jayred1 (that is, I hotwired it to a small garage door opener), but pulled the instrument cluster and velcroed my opener into the left side of the fairing (basically: inside, behind my left front turn signal). IMPORTANT: When you order a momentary switch, be sure to (1) order one that you can use while wearing gloves (I chose an unmarked, unlit, raised one that I can feel), and (2) be sure it has a shallow rear depth to it (or the wire connectors will run out of clearance against the inside of the fairing). AGAIN: Raised ("feel-able") button + stubby back end. After trying several different ones, I chose one of these: TWTADE 8PCS 12MM Momentary Push Button Switch Waterproof Switch (ON/Off) Mini Round Switch SPST 2 Pin PBS-33B-M-BK: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Can the 2014 chieftain be wired for the garage door opener?
Another option.This works well for me. Doesn't get wet. Simple 2 sided tape that will peell off and not damage the paint.

Reactions: ClassicalWhit
1 - 20 of 33 Posts