Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last motorcycle did not have a fairing so I hacked my Garage Door Opener (GDO). I bypassed the push button with wires to which I connected a remote push button "temporary ON" switch. I mounted the GDO inside the instrument cluster, drilled a small hole on the bottom and installed the switch. It was completely invisible unless you got down low then you could see the push button but it looked like it belonged there.

I was going to do a similar thing with my Chieftain but realized there was no need. I could easily conceal the GDO under the fairing within reach. It works perfectly. I used the 3M Super Strong Automotive Attachment Tape, the same stuff I used to mount my horn cover coin. That stuff is crazy strong but to be on the safe side and because it is hidden, I added 2 zip ties. One around the middle and the second one through the first one and around the forward bracket to keep it from sliding. The side bracket is tapered so the zip tie can slide back but not forward.

PS It is a small keychain type GDO remote.

IMG_8015.JPG

IMG_8016.JPG

IMG_8017.JPG

IMG_8018.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG

IMG_8020.JPG

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,058 Posts
I installed mine almost in the same place, but I used industrial hook & loop so it will be easy to replace battery.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed mine almost in the same place, but I used industrial hook & loop so it will be easy to replace battery.
That's a better idea! When my battery goes dead, I'll switch to that. Of course the battery will probably last 2 years so good for now. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
just put mine on the underside of the lid of my side storage

that way it's locked up when not in use.

just flip it open to open garage when I get home

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a bike where I wired it so that it only engages the remote when in neutral with the high beam on or with the clutch lever pulled in and the high beams on.

I don't think I will do that on my Chief since it is so gorgeous and I would hate to void my warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a bike where I wired it so that it only engages the remote when in neutral with the high beam on or with the clutch lever pulled in and the high beams on.

I don't think I will do that on my Chief since it is so gorgeous and I would hate to void my warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I blow the horn and my wife opens the door, no mount issues, well maybe later, Ha! and no battery issues, except for toys, LOL!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ordered extra nubbies that hold the EZPass to the front windshild.
they hold better than hook & loop, and you can stick it almost anywhere.
Like inside any compartment

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I ordered extra nubbies that hold the EZPass to the front windshild.
they hold better than hook & loop, and you can stick it almost anywhere.
Like inside any compartment
Forgive my ignorance but I thought a nubbie was someone that was new to something.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, since I don"t have a fairing on my 2000 Indian, I did a mod on an handlebar bag from my old bike, now modified to be a windshield bag.

I used to carry my garage door opener in it. Then, because I am lazy as hell, I thought, "What a pain to have to stop the bike, open my bag, get out the opener and open the door!

WAAAH...so hard... SO...here is the mod.

I drilled a couple of holes all the way through the bag and put in a couple of bolts. I could then slide the opener in with the button facing the outside. I was lucky that the opener fit well into this bag. I did have to sand the bottom corners so it fit in all the way.

Then I drilled a hole in the side of the bag slightly smaller that the diameter of a short bolt. I screwed in the bolt to the hole so it stuck into the side of the bag.

I made sure the bolt stuck into the bag far enough that when I pushed it it would activate the garage door opener, but it would not touch it unless pushed.

Stick in the opener and now I just push the bolt head to open the door! Whew...That was SO much easier than all that hard work before!

There you go! Very convenient, creative, and most importantly...cost me NOTHING!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I went with something similar to OP, just a keychain GDO and a few cable ties, I'm loving it!

One cable tie is thru a hole in the GDO and the others hold it in place, doesn't even wiggle. Button is right next to the small hole in the faring which now has a cable tie thru it, makes it easy to see and feel even with riding gloves on.

I guess I need to clean my Chieftain again, and the cut is not from the install, it's from an extreme chicken salad incident.

Reactions: Stan McD
1 - 14 of 14 Posts