Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started riding on the road about a month ago. Before that I had just riding dirt bikes. A buddy of mine sold me a Indian open face helmet. I really like it a lot because that is what I always use riding my dirt back. He said everyone should have a full face helmet for longer trips on your bike. I ordered a Bell full face helmet and did not like it at all. I sent it back and order a Shoei full face to see if I like it better. What do you all wear? Is a man putting himself in a lot of danger by not wearing a FF helmet? What brand of helmet is your favorite? Sorry if this has been ask before. I am wondering if I can get use to a FF helmet.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a Shoei Neotec modular, and Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4 helmet. In the summer I wear the 3/4 because the full face is too hot. Obviously full-face helmets offer better protection, your choice vs protection/comfort. I kinda wish I had bought the Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 which comes with a full face shield for using in winter. Also, if you plan on installing speakers, make sure the helmet has speaker cutouts.

·
Silver member
3,323 Posts
Helmet shape matching your head shape (round vs oval, etc.) is probably the biggest factor for comfort. It's best to try on and not order online so that the fit is proper.

I wear a full face all the time. Actually a modular so that the front can flip up when you stop for gas etc., and it makes it easier to put helmet on and off. I would not wear full face only on long trips. You have to decide for yourself how much emphasis to put on safety. Heck there are a lot of guys (who frankly I think of as idiots) that wear no helmet at all and even do route planning to avoid states that require helmets. But they are free to make that choice of course, as was Gary Busey before he rescrambled his brains on a curb.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wear a Shoei J-cruise 3/4 for cooler months, comm use and long distance... it’s the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had... I also have a Bell 1/2 helmet for summertime and shorter rides that I enjoy....

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wear a Shoei RF1200 and a Schuberth C3pro which I’m not fond of. My next will be another Shoei, either an GT Air 2 or Neotec 2.

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
Obviously full-face helmets are safer than open-face. Here's a chart of the percentage of impact area where your head will likely hit in the event of an accident.

A pretty high percentage chance that you'll smack your chin on the ground if you go down. But just like the rest of the safety gear (jacket, pants, gloves, and boots), you'll have to decide what works for you. Some place a high priority on safety ... others could care less. Just like helmet shape, only you can decide what works for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just got a Bell Bullit Carbon DOT and ECE approved. Field of vision is superb I forget I’m wearing it. Thing is super light and super comfortable. Best advice I could give ya is to make sure you grab a helmet that FITS YOUR HEAD SHAPE and is sized properly, should be very snug when new but then loosen a little after it breaks in. Full face is the way to go for me. No more salad bowl. Check out revzilla for features prices and education on the subject.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I have several. My favorite by far is my Shoei GT Air cog.
Just bought the J Cruise as well.

Depends on where and how warm it is. The GT Air has FANTASTIC air management. Shut the vents in the winter, I'm warm, open them all in the summer and its tolerable. They have a new GT Air ii that they claim is even better.

The J Cruise is nice for hot weather riding on the interstate out of the city. In a crash if you tuck your chin, you'd be Almost as safe as a full.

downloadfile-3.jpg
gt-air-cog-r.jpg

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think helmet safety implies good peripheral vision as well and while I like my Shoei Neotec II and it is super full face protective....I do not see peripherally out of that helmet anywhere near as well as I do with my Open Face HJC. The Shoei is way, way too hot for me in the summers.....but again, it is a super helmet....I just hate the thing in really warm weather.. I place a high degree of safety in being able to see and hear better while riding...so that HJC for me is my GO TO HELMET!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was using the Shoei RF-1200, which has been a great helmet. But I recently bought the Shoei RF-SR and like it better because the air flow is awesome particularly for upright cruiser riding. It’s also about $70 cheaper than the 1200. Both are SNELL certified and have the quick detach so you can swap out visors. Highly recommend either.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I own 2 a Shoei Neotec modular and a Schuberth C4 Modular so the C4 can have advantage of being an ope faced helmet full face helmet . I per the Schuberth C4 as it has the bonus of a come inbuilt system that is the most comfortable helmet I have every owned. ,but it is also the most expensive one too.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
well when i started riding i had a full helmet with a plastic snap on shield . Traveling i have a full helmet w/no shield . But friends of mine when they ride especially during rainy season full face w/shield

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have several. My favorite by far is my Shoei GT Air cog.
Just bought the J Cruise as well.

Depends on where and how warm it is. The GT Air has FANTASTIC air management. Shut the vents in the winter, I'm warm, open them all in the summer and its tolerable. They have a new GT Air ii that they claim is even better.

The J Cruise is nice for hot weather riding on the interstate out of the city. In a crash if you tuck your chin, you'd be Almost as safe as a full.

View attachment 516668 View attachment 516670
I have the J-Cruise as well. I like the fact that I can pull all the liner pads out and toss them in the washing machine. What I dont like is that the clear visor turns the face area of the helmet into a greenhouse in the summer. To fix that, I sourced a tinted visor on Ebay. This also fixed another problem: when riding to work in the morning, and from work in the evening, the sun is right in my eyes. With the tinted visor and the drop down sun visor, I can actually see where I am going.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the J-Cruise as well. I like the fact that I can pull all the liner pads out and toss them in the washing machine. What I dont like is that the clear visor turns the face area of the helmet into a greenhouse in the summer. To fix that, I sourced a tinted visor on Ebay. This also fixed another problem: when riding to work in the morning, and from work in the evening, the sun is right in my eyes. With the tinted visor and the drop down sun visor, I can actually see where I am going.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Good looking helmet and the visor area looks to have better peripheral vision than my Neotec 2 does?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've used a full face for 30 years. I am not comfortable with any other. My dad (who is 78) still rides and uses a 3/4. I use the Shoei Neotec now... It's all personal preference but i feel the full face is safer.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts