Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I spoke to fuelmoto today about a question I had on my 17 Chieftain and their map for the Big Bore kit. The person I spoke with told me that with the BB kit they recommend a dyno map. When I ask if it was safe to run the map they provide he said since all bikes are different it should go to the dyno.. he would not say it was safe to use their BB map.... Sooo, I am sticking with the Indian oem map as I am a loooong way from anyone that does a dyno run for bikes..

This is the first time I have ever been told the safety of the fuelmoto maps may be an issue.....

·
Vendor / bronze
2,767 Posts
Fuel moto seems to know what they are doing so I would take heed. Also since there have been a few problems with the Big bore kit install, I would stay within Indian realm until it feels safe to move on. Polaris can easily deny a warranty issue if you modified the MAP. You might win in court but it would cost too much to try.

·
Silver member
4,509 Posts
Well I spoke to fuelmoto today about a question I had on my 17 Chieftain and their map for the Big Bore kit. The person I spoke with told me that with the BB kit they recommend a dyno map. When I ask if it was safe to run the map they provide he said since all bikes are different it should go to the dyno.. he would not say it was safe to use their BB map.... Sooo, I am sticking with the Indian oem map as I am a loooong way from anyone that does a dyno run for bikes..

This is the first time I have ever been told the safety of the fuelmoto maps may be an issue.....
No one can guarantee that a "canned tune" will be perfect for your engine. As far as safe, yes it is safe, is it perfect...most likely not. It takes a custom tune to get close to perfection.

With the stage 3 tunes, I've seen one engine run very well on one tune, and not so well on the other (usually the Factory tune not running well). So when I tune a stage 3 engine, I usually provide three tunes to try, Fuelmoto's, Dynojet's and mine. They pick the one that runs the very best and then we begin tuning in the bike. When it is done, they have a custom tune.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one can guarantee that a "canned tune" will be perfect for your engine. As far as safe, yes it is safe, is it perfect...most likely not. It takes a custom tune to get close to perfection.

With the stage 3 tunes, I've seen one engine run very well on one tune, and not so well on the other (usually the Factory tune not running well). So when I tune a stage 3 engine, I usually provide three tunes to try, Fuelmoto's, Dynojet's and mine. They pick the one that runs the very best and then we begin tuning in the bike. When it is done, they have a custom tune.
I fully understand their "base" map not being perfect for every bike.. What concerned me was the reluctance to say it was safe without a dyno run.... If this is the case it should be advertised because had I not ask the question, I would have never known....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had mine dynoed and and he got 10 more horses and 10 more ft lbs of torque. The flash is a little conservative.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Fuel moto seems to know what they are doing so I would take heed. Also since there have been a few problems with the Big bore kit install, I would stay within Indian realm until it feels safe to move on. Polaris can easily deny a warranty issue if you modified the MAP. You might win in court but it would cost too much to try.
Polaris can and may well do that but in all honesty their maps are just Generic and ok at best . Nothing beats a PVCX orPV3 and custom Dyno to make the engine come alive and run smooth.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I fully understand their "base" map not being perfect for every bike.. What concerned me was the reluctance to say it was safe without a dyno run.... If this is the case it should be advertised because had I not ask the question, I would have never known....
In this sue happy world we live, any business would be foolish to say any thing that sounds like a guarantee ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts