Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gauge indicates low on fuel. However it will only take .5 to .75 gallon be overflowing. Call the dealer (200 miles away) they don’t have a clue. Want me to bring it in for inspection. Help.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Bad fuel pump float, hole in the float itself , either electrical, but more than likely the float fell off, seen it half a dozen times

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad fuel pump float, hole in the float itself , either electrical, but more than likely the float fell off, seen it half a dozen times

Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll be going to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
200 miles - slow down, get gas now, and worry

I do the same thing, I was driving through Iowa and didn't fill up when I should of. Couldn't believe the 50 miles I rode and not passing a gas station on a major highway. have that section off-road engraved on my melon for next time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2014 Chieftain is slow to show the fuel level when I fill up and is not usually accurate. I just reset the trip meter and use that as my fuel gauge.
150 miles - start looking for a gas station
180 miles - find gas now
Yep that was my MO since 2014. But that doesn’t seem to work now. I fill up, 20 miles later “low fuel light” comes on. Fill up again only takes .5 gal and tank is topped off. Now my range is about 50 miles, if that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yep that was my MO since 2014. But that doesn’t seem to work now. I fill up, 20 miles later “low fuel light” comes on. Fill up again only takes .5 gal and tank is topped off. Now my range is about 50 miles, if that.
I never had a fuel gauge on a motorcycle till I bought my Indian. I don't rely on it to tell me when to fuel still. Just because a light comes on doesn't mean you're out of fuel, as you have found. Get it fixed as soon as you can, but don't let it upset you too much or interfere with your riding. You know how many miles you can go by now, I hope. Just give yourself a little safety margin and ride on.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain is slow to show the fuel level when I fill up and is not usually accurate. I just reset the trip meter and use that as my fuel gauge.
150 miles - start looking for a gas station
180 miles - find gas now
All bets are off riding into a sustained headwind.

·
Founding member
718 Posts
My old early Gilroy (2000 Chief) had neither a gas gauge or a trip meter, just an odometer. I'd just fill up every 200 miles and still have a gallon to spare as I got 50 miles to the gallon. My 2014 #172 gets 43 miles to the gallon. You have a trip meter, use it.

·
Bronze member
1,702 Posts
Interestingly, my 2019 CDH has a very accurate Avg. MPG calculation. Low fuel light comes on with 1.5 gal. left, so approx. 60 miles. I use Avg. MPG calc and trip and usually fill up with about a gallon left. OP sounds like a float issue to me.

·
Bronze member
3,755 Posts
The analogue gauge on my 2018 Springfield has been playing up the last few weeks. It would drop by about a third of its reading, then rise to normal again. There was no pattern in it, and when I told my service guy we turned the bike on and it did it just sitting still. He checked out the connections and they were OK, but also said if it continued to play up he'll replace the sender unit.

I've just done a week of touring and half of the 3,500 kms was spent with the guage showing empty. Once again, there is no pattern. I decides to go to zero, and somewhere down the road it decides to work again.

Now that I'm back home I'll get him to do the sender change.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,795 Posts
Expect to pay around $400.00 for the part unless you are under warranty. The float and fuel pump are one assembly so you can't just replace the float unless there is an old fuel pump laying around with a good float. I know this from experience as my gas gauge quit working. Bad float but luckily my dealer had a burned out pump with a good float. He saved me $300.00 by pulling the float from the bad pump.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
This may make me sound old. But what happened to reserve. In the old days we had a petcock that you would turn to the reserve position when the main.take was going empty. Why did.that go away?

·
Registered
527 Posts
This may make me sound old. But what happened to reserve. In the old days we had a petcock that you would turn to the reserve position when the main.take was going empty. Why did.that go away?
That was carb models that didnt have floats.
That gas was fed my gravity or vacuum depending on setup.
Those days are long gone.
Computers do everything for us now

·
Rider
449 Posts
My gauge just started acting up this morning. “Low Fuel” light came on after saying Range was 43 miles. Filled up and it only took 3.5 gallons. Now the Range says 43 miles again and the gauge indicates a 1/4 of a tank.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts