Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Rider
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer is recommending their fuel system treatment at my upcoming 25,000 mile service, a $150 dollar event. Not sure if it is solution for which there is no known problem, {the government does this a lot} or just a good idea under the heading of needed maintenance. My 2017 Springfield runs great, no issues on performance that I can discern and the mileage is good at around 42 - 43. I always run premium and top tier gas whenever possible.

I am going to have them flush the fork oil as it is due, I elected to skip it at 15,000 {recommended but not required} and again at the 20,000 mile service. No leaks and the ride and handling are fine but the SF is a heavy bike and the front end works hard. The 25K service is something north of $300 and the forks will add a couple of hundred more {I'm guessing} so skipping/postponing the fuel treatment has some appeal.

So what say you my brother's, does my fuel system need a cleaning or should I skip it for now?

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
667 Posts
My local dealer is recommending their fuel system treatment at my upcoming 25,000 mile service, a $150 dollar event. Not sure if it is solution for which there is no known problem, {the government does this a lot} or just a good idea under the heading of needed maintenance. My 2017 Springfield runs great, no issues on performance that I can discern and the mileage is good at around 42 - 43. I always run premium and top tier gas whenever possible.

I am going to have them flush the fork oil as it is due, I elected to skip it at 15,000 {recommended but not required} and again at the 20,000 mile service. No leaks and the ride and handling are fine but the SF is a heavy bike and the front end works hard. The 25K service is something north of $300 and the forks will add a couple of hundred more {I'm guessing} so skipping/postponing the fuel treatment has some appeal.

So what say you my brother's, does my fuel system need a cleaning or should I skip it for now?

Absolutely a waste of money especially as you use premium fuel

·
Registered
196 Posts

Ya that's a money scam, drop some starbright fuel enzyme into the tank for five bucks and there's your fuel treatment, stuff cleans the system when your not riding it,farmers use it in there tractors over winter and know they will have no problem with the fuel system come spring time,always use it on down time. Haha probably what the dealership does then charges you top dollar.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,484 Posts
I've never heard a dealer offer this. If you ride your bike and use 91 octane then what is the point? What do they put in it? Can you run it through your tank yourself? yes.

Unless your bike sits for 2 years I don't see any reason for it....

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
Yep some of the Indian dealerships are offering "fuel injector cleaning service" another way to drum up money for cheap.

·
Rider
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gentlemen, you confirmed what I suspected all along. I'm not opposed to some sort of tank additive fuel cleaner if anyone has a favorite but I ride several times a week often 100+ miles and in combination with using good gas methinks there is no problem here.

:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I stopped by the shop yesterday and saw the tech doing the $149.99 fuel system service on a Chieftain. He told me that he scoped a cylinder before the treatment and after the treatment and saw no discernible change. He did mention that some people who have had the service say that their bikes seem to run better afterwards.
I guess if I payed $150 for that I "might feel a difference" too.
I use Chevron premium whenever I can and dump a bottle of Techron in the tank during every oil change.
Seems to work for my bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use Yamaha Engine Med mainly because of the garbage ethanol laced fuel forced on us and living in a hi humidity area,so far no issues on 3 bikes in 11 years.

·
Rider
373 Posts
I treat one tank of gas with Amsoil Performance Improver every time I change the oil. 4 ounces every 5000 miles I get 4 treatments per bottle. Very inexpensive, if it's doing nothing then I am out almost nothing, but if it 's working then it's still very inexpensive.

·
Founding member
1,931 Posts
Never used an additive in any engine (car, bike, mower, snowblower, weedeater) in 45+ years and have never had an issue with anything. Being in the Midwest, I've almost always used ethanol, too. As you said, some people are using "solutions without having any problems".

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with the majority - Fuel treatment seems a waste if you are riding the bike regularly. Here in SW MI most if not all of our fuel has 10% or less ethanol - I have always used Mainly Shell gas unless i can't get while on a trip. I use the mid grade 89 Octane and have never had any issues, MPG 41-44 average. Now back in October of 19 after a 3000 mile trip in 6 days I took the 2017 CDH in for Oil & Filter change at 13,790 miles and when the tech and the service Manager told me they head a noise that wasn't good, and they didn't want me to wait and ride it home, so they started a case file and it took Polaris 3 weeks to decide to replace the lifters after the tear down. The Tech wanted to replace a few other parts because of some issues he found on the tear down, but Polaris said No. . .
took another 3 weeks to get the parts and reassemble the motor, now its mid November and winter has set in so I had them deliver the bike and it was put in storage with the battery tender until this April. I decided to try and run the BP 100% fuel which is 90 octane w/o ethanol - bike runs better than it did when t was new and my MPG is now 44-46 consistently. I have run 6 full fills since milage is now 15k - couldn't be happier with my dealer and the entire process.
WD
CDH Flag.jpeg

·
Senior member / gold
6,386 Posts
I have used Seafoam fuel additive with very slight improvement. I have used Chevron Techron fuel additive with terrific results in performance improvements.
I was having a few issues with the fuel system, and that was my reason for the additives. I got the the Techron additive in a small can that I ordered from Amazon. Great stuff!!!

·
Bronze member
1,551 Posts
Techron, Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube.
Every few thousand miles for the motorcycle and three times longer between for the car.

I mostly gas up at places like Pilot Travel Center, MAPCO, Raceway, etc.

Chevron back when the gas prices weren’t high, which I could do again now except Pilot has the closest octane rating recommended for the Scout.

·
Bronze member
1,551 Posts
About the Seafoam... it was something I had used a while on my old cars until one time I almost never got one started because it would only begin to fire up and spew a white smoke cloud before stalling out.
So now I just pour a little fresh gas into the carburetor float bowl if the engine hasn’t been started for a very long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll throw a few ounces of Star Tron in after a fill up when I know I won't be riding for a bit (less than once a week).
Otherwise I won't add anything since the gas is in steady circulation.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts