Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chieftain (Tanto) Steel Gray
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed Stage 1 AC and Stage 1 slip ons. I had the dealer flash. Now after some hard riding when I put it in the garage I have a strong fuel odor. Is this because the Stage 1 has a richer fuel mix?

·
Rider
986 Posts
Probably. The stage 1 air cleaner also breaths better so the smell is more noticeable. Every bike that I changed the airbox on and jetted/enriched gave that smell once parked in the garage. I haven't done stage 1 yet on my 19 SF but I would imagine that it would do the same thing as the other bikes have.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I like the smell of fuel & exhaust. But the smell of freshly spent shotgun shells is my favorite :)

Back on topic... I don't see why there would be a strong gas odor after a stage 1. But as you say, seems the richer fuel mixture would be the cause. My '15 Vintage is totally stock with the exception of the stage 1 muffs. Every now and then I'll get a very slight fuel odor, hardly noticeable, when I park in the garage. CraigB is our local A/F expert. Maybe he will see this thread and chime in.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had the same issue especially parking in the garage hot. I now fill the tank before I return home and no longer have a fuel smell issue.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
Most likely you are smelling the venting of the gas tank and the crankcase vent is now more open then before (more open air filter). The bike is still running at 14.7:1 from idle through cruise with the stage 1 flash. So it is not richer, except in the above 3.75k RPM and higher loads.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Most likely you are smelling the venting of the gas tank and the crankcase vent is now more open then before (more open air filter). The bike is still running at 14.7:1 from idle through cruise with the stage 1 flash. So it is not richer, except in the above 3.75k RPM and higher loads.
Head this issue when I owned HD and still have it with my Roadmaster, both before and after the Stg 1 and 2.
CraigB is spot on (as he usually is ).
The simple solution that I have used it a box fan aimed at the motor after parking it. It blows the hot air away from the gas tank so the fuel doesn’t get warm and vent. After about an hour or next time you’re in the garage turn off the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts