Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I was wondering how can I change the fuel range on my chieftain?

I just fill it up and it shows 160km as the range with full bar indications where it should be around 250 km

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
Hi all

I was wondering how can I change the fuel range on my chieftain?

I just fill it up and it shows 160km as the range with full bar indications where it should be around 250 km

The fuel range looks at the float level in the tank and calculated how far you can go based on the last known fuel consumption rate. For example lets say you are riding at a medium speed and failry low fuel consumption, the range will show quite a bit, but them you jump on the highway and go fast, the range will drop drastically because you are consuming more fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The highest i have seen mine is 420km. That is at a constant 110 kmh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
If you are using a piggyback tuning device (powercommander or EJK,O2 elimnator plugs, open loop) which controls injector behaviour bypasssing the O2 sensors and ECU then your ECU will never be able to do accurate consumption estimates/calculations.

The floater in the tank is not accurate enough (I doubt it can be used at all besides just being input for the fuel gauge/bar and CURRENT fuel level). And I have seen it get stuck as well (from the gauge) without influencing the consumption estimate display at all.

Think about all the modern ECUs being able to calculate real time fuel consumption (depending on throttle and load), and different average fuel consumptions ...
Our ECU similarly displays a LONG average fuel consumption ... based on O2 sensor inputs/fueltrims, rpms and odometer and transition through preprogrammed tables (Volumetric Efficiency "VE" and Injector Pulswidths "IPW", scaling and compensation factors).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are using a piggyback tuning device (powercommander or EJK,O2 elimnator plugs, open loop) which controls injector behaviour bypasssing the O2 sensors and ECU then your ECU will never be able to do accurate consumption estimates/calculations.

The floater in the tank is not accurate enough (I doubt it can be used at all besides just being input for the fuel gauge/bar and CURRENT fuel level). And I have seen it get stuck as well (from the gauge) without influencing the consumption estimate display at all.

Think about all the modern ECUs being able to calculate real time fuel consumption (depending on throttle and load), and different average fuel consumptions ...
Our ECU similarly displays a LONG average fuel consumption ... based on O2 sensor inputs/fueltrims, rpms and odometer and transition through preprogrammed tables (Volumetric Efficiency "VE" and Injector Pulswidths "IPW", scaling and compensation factors).
The bike is stage 2 Indian flash / tune without any power commander / o2 eliminater yet I'll take it for a spin later and see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll rest it and take it for a spin and see if it will go back to normal.
So legit asking for a friend, how do you reset it. I’m a Harley girl myself but can’t seem to find that answer online. Hers went from averaging about 220 and went down to 180 and no she didn’t start riding it harder/faster. Just thought that maybe she could rest it and see if it fixes itself before she took it in. I know it’s based off the float/fuel in the tank it’s just weird it dropped so much.
Thanks in advance!

·
Rider
422 Posts
So legit asking for a friend, how do you reset it.
The left hand toggle switch - cycle through to average consumption and then press and hold, (the same as a trip reset). It's best to do that after the bike is good and warm and out on the open road.
This will change the calculated range.

·
Bronze member
3,398 Posts
I learned long ago not to trust anything (gage included)… just know your average mpg it truly will not fluctuate enough to worry about... figure out how far you can go and go off of your trip odometer.. and just fuel when you need to.. I've done enough walking in my life to never trust any sensor...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The highest i have seen mine is 420km. That is at a constant 110 kmh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did 270km's on part of a trip yesterday, when pulled at the pump it showed 220 remaining, when full new range showed 498km's, I averaged a slower 86km/hr..Was taking it easy as view so nice!! I think I could squeak over 500 out of it if I wanted..coming back at 110 I was not even 400km's..But I have full stage 1, and Fuel motors powervsion on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts