Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have 2x 2016 Scout Sixties. One of them is now sounding slightly different when the key is turned on (assuming this is sound of fuel pump pressuring up)? I have videos with sound but can’t seem to upload them. Hope folks have an idea of what this may be!

Ben

·
Bronze Member
2,358 Posts
I have a 2016 sixty, when you first turn the key you will hear the pump do its thing its normal. Mine also at least 50% of the time makes a constant
noise that bothered me. I had my dealer check it out, said it was perfectly normal on some bikes. That was 1.5 years ago it still does it but the bike
still runs great. Hope this may help.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
You can't upload videos, only pics. However, if you upload them to youtube you can link to them easily.

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
I have a 2016 sixty, when you first turn the key you will hear the pump do its thing its normal. Mine also at least 50% of the time makes a constant
noise that bothered me. I had my dealer check it out, said it was perfectly normal on some bikes. That was 1.5 years ago it still does it but the bike
still runs great. Hope this may help.
You are most likely hearing the sound of the gas tank vent. It is quite different from the fuel pump and it may be a constant noise, It is because pressure builds in the tank due to the expansion of the fuel vapors when the tank temperatures rise. Your vent may be partially plugged, but it happens to a few. Tank temps. rise when left in the sunshine and/or the heat rising off the engine. Opening your gas filler will cause that noise to go away and you will only hear the fuel pump before starting the motor.
Any other noises would indicate a need to see a qualified service tech.
Good luck

·
Bronze Member
2,358 Posts
Best way to describe it would be a high pitch whine, sometimes it is constant for a day's riding and then I might not hear it for a week.

·
Bronze Member
2,358 Posts
You may be right on that but the sound is different than the venting sound I get after just filling the tank up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello,

We have 2x 2016 Scout Sixties. One of them is now sounding slightly different when the key is turned on (assuming this is sound of fuel pump pressuring up)? I have videos with sound but can’t seem to upload them. Hope folks have an idea of what this may be!

Ben
You can easy measure the fuel pressure of both bikes using a fuel pressure gauge and compare. If low, the problem could be a clogged strainer
Take the pump out and clean the strainer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts