Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been fighting the fuel moto link pipe leaking and it's driving me nuts to say the least , I got that clamp tight with 18v impact and I put another nut behind the clamp nut to lock it in and she still leaks . Am I doing something wrong ? Is this a common problem with this pipe ? Anyone that's had the same prob and came up with a solution ?

Thanks
IMG_20200828_2237266~2.jpg

·
Rider
951 Posts
Haven't had experience with a CAT delete link, aging hippy you know, but the photo suggests the link pipe is not fully seated. A second consideration is whether you used a new clamp when installing. A clamp, especially a used one, can be overtorqued, and this will create leaks. Rx: clean all parts, fully seat, use new clamps, and I would also use muffler sealant as part of the install.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't had experience with a CAT delete link, aging hippy you know, but the photo suggests the link pipe is not fully seated. A second consideration is whether you used a new clamp when installing. A clamp, especially a used one, can be overtorqued, and this will create leaks. Rx: clean all parts, fully seat, use new clamps, and I would also use muffler sealant as part of the install.
That's as far as the pipe slips on , the fuel moto link pipe has a mount point / bolt that goes into were cat used to mount so there's no moving it , it also came with its own new clamp . If u go on fuel moto website there own pic shows the same gap mine has ...

·
German rider
630 Posts
In this position the gap still stays open an will never be closed no matter what clamp is used.
No other way to go (except you want to play with Exhaust Sealing Paste).
The pipes must be pushed all together.
May be you are able to loosen the whole exhaust and find some centimeters.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In this position the gap still stays open an will never be closed no matter what clamp is used.
No other way to go (except you want to play with Exhaust Sealing Paste).
The pipes must be pushed all together.
May be you are able to loosen the whole exhaust and find some centimeters.
This pic is from fuel moto website and u can see the pipe has same gap as mine installed , it won't go any closer because of the mount that bolts up to were old cat mount is . My pipe is in beond the slit in the link pipe , just will not seal . I think link pipe is to big around .... Maybe I'm just going nuts cas I been messing with it to long haha . Really looking for someone who has the same link pipe and let me know if I'm nuts or they had the same problem

Thanks
Screenshot_20200829-051835.jpg

·
German rider
630 Posts
Maybe the photographer team took the easy way and pushed not the whole tube in - not to mess around with the tighter part of the outer tube.
But if I look very close to both your pic and the FM one, nevertheless there is a difference about the insertion depht (size relation clamp to insertion depht.)
Provided that the clamps are equal, then the FM tube is better/deeper mounted than yours.
For my expierience with exhaust tubes, the inner tube must be in till the gab you can see very well, will be closed.
Dismount clamp, use a good lamp, clean from soot and look closely and try to get the last cm for closing this hole.

If nobody can tell here in first hand, you may ask FM.

·
Rider
951 Posts
Or, you can try Permatex Optimum Grey as it is stated to work with slip on muffler parts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fm pipes are known to leak. Mine was leaking the one day I had it on.

You can add red rtv to the joint that will help. But it is what it is with their link pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks you ferrailolo , I was starting to think it was me that was nuts lol ...also very disappointing that they sell this pipe with a known problem and havnt corrected the problem or tell there customers they will need to add some sealant or the pipe will leak . I was disappointed with there tune and this just put the nail in the coffin for me . I will prob add some sealant but does anyone know of a link pipe that does not leak at all and work like it's suppose to ? Haha

Thanks

·
Vendor / bronze
2,839 Posts
Making the clamp tighter will not solve the problem. The pipe needs to be inserted farther to get past the split. It appears based on your comments that it won't go any farther. This means is is a design fault. If they can replace it with one that fits, they should. If not I would get a refund. If you want to keep it, then a high temperature sealant may work.

·
Bronze member
1,755 Posts
Toce makes one that’s known not to leak. You do have to cut a slit in your header for the coned Insert to go in, on some headers. But it also provides you with a little more back pressure to help with the cat delete mid torque dip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is my Fuelmoto pipe,note it is just about butted up and clamp is on the edge and still a slight seep at a split. View attachment 603602 View attachment 603602
Wow urs makes it all the way in at least but still crazy it's leaking in the same spot . Once mine is bolted at old cat point she won't slide in any more , I'm also debating at just cutting that cat mount point off the link pipe . Tonight ima take it all apart and make sure there is no way she can slide in any more even tho I'm 95 percent sure she won't, I remember struggling to get it in more when I installed it

Thanks for ur input

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a Toce pipe and while it was a snug fit it still had some seepage too.

·
Rider
951 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts