Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you guys [gals] are doing economy wise.[gas mileage] I set a new record this AM as my average mileage reading in my instrument cluster showed an average mpg of 55.5,which I thought was pretty dam good considering the size and weight of this machine.Plus I do NOT drive it hard,using it for it's intended purpose,TOURING !! The highest I achieved by checking gas mileage the old fashion way [ dividing the gallons put in at the pump,into the miles traveled] usually runs any wheres between 48-52.
So let the show begin!!! lol lol lol

·
Bronze member
1,638 Posts
Back when I had my Vaquero I started keeping accurate records of my mpg. Knowing the bike's ODO and mpg display was off I started using a GPS to document miles ridden and more accurately calculate mpg. With my Indian I have done the same but also adding average mph into the equation.Lately I have been averaging between 43 to 48 mpg with speeds between 53 to 55mph. Best tank recently I traveled 244.44 miles GPS, took in 5.086 gllns for averages of 48mpg @ 53.13mph..

RACNRAY

Reactions: Super Jute

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
368 Posts
Funny this came up today, I never payed much attention gas mileage on my bikes. I'm a weekend warrior and I just ride and fill up and repeat. However today I decided to reset my trip meter after I filled up and got 45 mpg in about a 100 mile ride. Me and the bike together equal about 1100 pounds, so 45mpg ain't to bad.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
From our trip two weeks ago, I thought I did pretty well. A 1-tank average was 44 mpg.

Below, is about a 4-tank average.

Based on how much gas I put in each bike, I would say my wife's CDH has about the same performance. Both of us have PVCX / PV3 controllers. She is running stock exhaust, while I have Freedom duals. When is on point, she is a bit heavier on the throttle.

Reactions: Super Jute

·
Bronze member
1,954 Posts
Mpg for my Scout plummets if I’m going above 65 miles an hour or not maintaining steady speeds (shifting).
Does best holding 55 to 60 mph in sixth gear.

Best ever was 59, seldom going over 55.
Worst 37, and low 40s.
Mostly between 45 and 55.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I am just tooling along the back roads through the twisties I can get ~39 MPG. If I'm on the highway with the cruise control set at 75mph, I'm lucky if I get 33 MPG. I've just come to accept that this doesn't get great gas mileage.

·
Bronze member
1,926 Posts
If I am just tooling along the back roads through the twisties I can get ~39 MPG. If I'm on the highway with the cruise control set at 75mph, I'm lucky if I get 33 MPG. I've just come to accept that this doesn't get great gas mileage.
Has your bike ever been tuned? 33 MPG on the hiway is way too low. Running too rich IMHO.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
On my 2018 Chieftain Limited I find it tricky to determine the actual gas mileage because so many things affect it. I’ve even noticed a big difference in gas mileage depending on how high I have my Freedom 14” windshield. I was on a group ride with other Chieftains and at one gas stop they were very impressed with my gas mileage, I had the best of the group. Later that day we hit some strong headwinds so I decided to raise the windshield all the way up for increased wind protection and I got the worst gas mileage in the group. In fact when we filled up I had zero bars on the fuel gauge while most others had one or two bars on their gauges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
780 Posts
Just got back from a trip down to the Phoenix area, Orange County Ca, Las Vegas,Nv, Idaho,Ut. 2600 miles. the average was 41 but I saw anywhere from 47-35. I installed Power Vision this winter and was anxious to see how the map was fuel consumption wise. In my travels high head winds vs no/tail wind makes the biggest difference. Last summer on a trip out to Portland, Or I bucked 30-45 mph headwinds all the way from Tremonton Ut to The Dalles, Or getting as low as 28-30 mpg. I’ll average 40-41 up to 79mph. Above 80 I will see 36-39 depending on terrain of course

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a point of interest,if anyones' interested: If you continue to run the bike low on gas,like on "E" for enough,lol, you could burn out the fuel pump.Why?? Cause the pump is submerged in the tank and the gas is what keeps it cool.So when the gas runs low,it's also not keeping the pump cool,hence the pump can and will over heat.And if ya do that too many times,it'll just quit on ya one day ,and that day will be in the middle of the night or when you're a million miles from home.lol I can't tell ya how many pumps I've changed over the years in four wheelers because the drivers always ran the tank down to "E" for enough,then paid for it with the toe bill, plus the labor to drop the tank to replace the pump.Granted,it's not as bad on the motorcycle,but then again,I'll just betcha they don't give these pumps away either.I had to replace the pump in my Triumph because,after 100,000 miles it started whinin like hell.And I never ran it down low.But the good news was,that bike used the same pump as many of the four wheelers did so I was able to get one for short money,plus,it wasn't all that hard to change,that is,in my shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts