Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my question is will the fuel mileage get better over time? I've gotten over 1500 miles on my Vintage and on the highway I'm only getting 36mpg at 75mph. Of course, if I drop down to 65mph I get closer to 43mpg, but who wants to ride at 65 when the speed limit is 75? These numbers are two up with the windshield on.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You might pick up a mile or two as the mileage increases. 75 mph two up with a barn door for a windshield, can't see it getting much better. I think my Cheiftain gets 42-44 at 60-65. I am easy on the throttle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The instantaneous reading is interesting. I see it change just moving the windshield in small increments. The direction of the wind vs the motorcycle is also a huge factor. It is hard to give a good mileage answer other than to say what the cumulative mileage is for my own riding style and my average load over - say 3,000 to 5,000 kms. Riding elevation also seems to make a difference. (in the mountains it always gets better)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took a 1700 mile trip and my AVERAGE was 44.5 mpg. That was 31 hours in the saddle (man I love the data acquisition on this bike :)). Between traffic jams, slow putts at 35 and ripping it at fast freeway speeds that's a pretty good average I thought. Watching the instant mpg is a fun game though. Maybe all our numbers will improve with more miles?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am more interested in a bigger fuel tank. Cruising out west I carry an auxillary tank with a couple extra gallons. The mileage stats are interesting, but for trip planning where gas stations are rare in Big Sky country, size matters. I plan fuel consumption conservatively. I have ridden into gas stations on prayers and fumes. So far haven't had to push.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So, my question is will the fuel mileage get better over time? I've gotten over 1500 miles on my Vintage and on the highway I'm only getting 36mpg at 75mph. Of course, if I drop down to 65mph I get closer to 43mpg, but who wants to ride at 65 when the speed limit is 75? These numbers are two up with the windshield on.
You answered your own question here. On my 99 Road King Classic...solo...I would get 42 and two up get 35. On my 05 Goldwing, solo.....39 and two up get 33. The additional weight and wind resistance is going to cost you in fuel economy. BTW...when I go my long cruises.... 500 mile or above and have my TBag on back....little weight but substantial wind resistance, I also see a decrease in fuel economy.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am more interested in a bigger fuel tank. Cruising out west I carry an auxillary tank with a couple extra gallons. The mileage stats are interesting, but for trip planning where gas stations are rare in Big Sky country, size matters. I plan fuel consumption conservatively. I have ridden into gas stations on prayers and fumes. So far haven't had to push.
I am conserned about running out say Saturday night in the mountains and raining missed turn. I made it that night, but have done so at least 3 times. You have got to be very lucky

·
Registered
723 Posts
When I put my big ass, gooney goohoo feet on the highway pegs at 70+, my instant mileage drops by 1-1.5 mpg.
Well, I got a small ass and a huge gut. Feet made to stamp out forest fires and get the same results. I am in it for the ride but I do find the mileage info a nice side distraction.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
My mileage is in the 40mpg range. I am a spirited rider. In the Black Hills, after a day of riding I got 54 mpg. But I ride the way I like without letting mileage be a factor. I get my enjoyment out of the freedom of the throttle. Good mileage is just a miniature bonus for me.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
My fuel mileage is around 39mpg and odd change.
That's with 7,000 miles on the bike and I have not reset the computer.

That's quite a history...7k miles....so I don't notice any variance in my day to day operations.
I sort of have this idea in my head that I won't reset the computer until I get 10k on the bike.
I don't know why.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
One up and gentle on the throttle my Vintage gives me 45 to 49. But like most, I couldn't care less about gas consumption, it just feels so good out there in the blacktop.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I just ride it ..don't care about mileage..it is controlled by varying factors..eg how much you twist the throttle

·
Registered
72 Posts
I plan on adding AC,dirtybird pipes and PC V so milage will go down due to all the wrist action, but man will it be fun. I ride with a nephew on a sporty so every 100 miles he is looking for somewhere to stop.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You hit my feelings that as long as I get as much as riding partners I am fine but after a couple thousand I am in the avg of about 41 or 2. If you worry much about this put a length of 1/4 inch plastic tubing in bag....there is usually someone around with a few quarts.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
1700 miles and I haven't seen more than 38 mpg yet. Highway speed is 70 - 75. I take my time on the back roads of course but can't say the fuel economy is much better. Then again that's not really why I love riding and there's nothing like an Indian.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1700 miles and I haven't seen more than 38 mpg yet. Highway speed is 70 - 75. I take my time on the back roads of course but can't say the fuel economy is much better. Then again that's not really why I love riding and there's nothing like an Indian.
That's about right. Just ran down to Mexico with many sections over 75 and I watched the instantaneous mileage drop to 32 for that period. On average around LA with freeways and side streets, I'm doing about 37mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy y'all, if I bebop around normal driving nice and easy, I get 42 to 45 mpg. Normal riding, not moseying here or there, I get 38 mpg plus / minus. That's a 2015 Chieftain, stage 1 and 2 with cams. Cat still in... For now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts