Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a test ride on a Scout at my local Indian dealer.

Like breathing, as soon as I hit the electric start and the bike started, I rolled the throttle a couple times to hear the engine.

The gentleman from the dealer quickly scolded me and said that was not necessary and not something I should ever do. He said it's not needed and I believe he also said it could "harm/confuse" the fuel injection system.

I quoted that as I don't recall exactly what he was saying as I was shocked to hear rolling a throttle to hear the engine at idle was a bad thing.

I still don't believe this and is the reason I am posting this.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I recently took a test ride on a Scout at my local Indian dealer.

Like breathing, as soon as I hit the electric start and the bike started, I rolled the throttle a couple times to hear the engine.

The gentleman from the dealer quickly scolded me and said that was not necessary and not something I should ever do. He said it's not needed and I believe he also said it could "harm/confuse" the fuel injection system.

I quoted that as I don't recall exactly what he was saying as I was shocked to hear rolling a throttle to hear the engine at idle was a bad thing.

I still don't believe this and is the reason I am posting this.
From the owner's manual:

If starting a COOL engine, DO NOT open the throttle while starting. Idle speed is computer controlled and idle speed will adjust automatically. Allow the engine to warm up for 30 seconds minimum at low RPM after starting. Do not run the engine above 2500 RPM. If starting a WARM engine, DO NOT open the throttle while starting.

Tip: Do not rev the engine or put the transmission in gear immediately after starting the engine. Allow the engine to idle for about 30 seconds after a warm start or at least one minute after a cold start (longer in cold weather). This will allow oil to reach all areas before the engine is put under load.
I don't think it harms the fuel system, but the lubrication system isn't up to temperature and can cause premature wear. This is probably more important on a brand new bike that hasn't been broken in yet.

Reactions: rslinct

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I always let the idle settle before I do anything, but once it is good? IT'S ON!! you have a motorcycle so you have to enjoy the exhaust note.... just don't be a typical harley owner.... lol
Motorcycle Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycling Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it harms the fuel system, but the lubrication system isn't up to temperature and can cause premature wear. This is probably more important on a brand new bike that hasn't been broken in yet.
Ahh, this makes sense. Typical, someone just giving you half the picture. Had he said, wait for it to warm up then I would have been fine with the instructions.

Thanks for clearing this up.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Interestingly, I was given the same instructions when I had a Moto Guzzi Breva 1100; and I found that if I revved it while stationary before the bike warmed up, it seemed to confuse the fuel injection and the bike would then run rough for a bit. So, when I got the Scout 60, it was second nature not to rev it until the bike had run for a bit. That said, allowing the oil to circulate before revving it is a very good reason to hold back while the engine warms up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts