Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was riding yesterday, started out with roughly 42 miles till empty. My guess at this point is gas light comes on at 40 mi remaining, then the remaining # of miles left just goes to "low fuel level". I rode another 60 miles, until the needle was in the circle and on " E ". So, imagine my surprise when the nozzle clicked off at 4.2 gallons. I don't quite understand, why the reserve is unidentifiable, as in, it just says " low fuel " at around 40 miles left, so at 40 miles per gallon, you have roughly depending on conditions 75-100 miles to go ? Seems like an awfully big reserve. I thought I was being risky by going the 60 miles.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've never seen a motorcycle fuel gauge that was worth much on any brand of bike. The "miles until empty" thing is even worse.

I think at E on these bikes you can count on at least a gallon left, they were very conservative with what "empty" means. At about 160 miles I'm looking for a gas station anyway, knowing I've got at least 40 miles left in the tank (barring high winds).

The odometer is the best gas gauge in my opinion, always has been and seems it always will be.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have pushed mine to the point I was below the windshield and running low rpms to get to a gas station.....I have never needed more than 4.5 gals. The good news is we aren't hearing complaints about running out of gas when it says empty......I think the gas program is for people like us that don't like to stop for gas! I just hope it really has 5.5 usable gals when I go on long trips... I think us old guys liked to turn the peacock to reserve after we ran out of fuel....then we really knew we couldn't ignor it much longer...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read somewhere that we have a 1Gal reserve which makes it 6.5 x 35mpg (Roughly) = 227mpt

·
Registered
335 Posts
Same experience that I ha d last weekend. Low fuel light came on and when I filled it to the screen at the bottom of the fill tube it took 4.2 gallons. On long trips with other bikes this could be important to know. This is much better than running out without warning though.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solid point, about better than running out. I was excited to get away from the odometer thing, on my gilroy I would reset trip every fill, and after about 130-150 mi I hit reserve, this prompted me to fill, managed 5 gallons once.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I have pushed mine to the point I was below the windshield and running low rpms to get to a gas station.....I have never needed more than 4.5 gals. The good news is we aren't hearing complaints about running out of gas when it says empty......I think the gas program is for people like us that don't like to stop for gas! I just hope it really has 5.5 usable gals when I go on long trips... I think us old guys liked to turn the peacock to reserve after we ran out of fuel....then we really knew we couldn't ignor it much longer...
Missed the peacock, too. I do agree that once it was turned to reserve, meant it was time to find gas soon. Days long gone on these modern bikes.

I usually always end up with one gallon left when the gauge shows basically empty.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Low fuel light on and needle at E, I put in 4.6 gallons this weekend. Its nice to know there is some left for Emergencies....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've never seen a motorcycle fuel gauge that was worth much on any brand of bike. The "miles until empty" thing is even worse.

I think at E on these bikes you can count on at least a gallon left, they were very conservative with what "empty" means. At about 160 miles I'm looking for a gas station anyway, knowing I've got at least 40 miles left in the tank (barring high winds).

The odometer is the best gas gauge in my opinion, always has been and seems it always will be.
Always used the odo more than any other indicator

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just went 210 miles on a tank of gas and then it only took 5.0 gallon to fill. In theory I still had 20 miles left before I would've run out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I pushed it to a really uncomfortable point one time and when I filled the tank, it took 5.1 gallons. I too was right at about 200 miles or slightly over.

·
Registered
532 Posts
First time the low fuel light came on. ... I pulled into a gas station and put 3.98 gallons in.??

What the heck? Now I know. ... like others have said, it's best to be on the safe side. ...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
This explains alot to me as a new RM owner wondering why I keep getting fuel so frequently.

Good info. thank you.

Dave

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I'm spooling out 170 miles a day, just going and coming.
MPG and fuel capacity becomes a point of concern at that rate.
Can I turn it on one fill up a day?

Ya start to think about fuel management.
Things like speed and an easy hand on the throttle.

Another thing you rarely hear anyone talk about....your fuel pump cooling.
That fuel pump is an electric motor fully submerged in a cooling fuel bath.
At 170 miles a day, I'm running pretty close to the vest when I do pull into the pumps close to home.
The needle on the gauge is laying in the mud, pinned against the stop.

I normally take on 4.5 or so gallons.
That works out to about 37 and change miles per gallon which is consistent with the onboard computer.
I suppose you could say that I have a gallon of fuel to cool the pump....but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

When I'm out riding for enjoyment I begin to look for fuel at 150 miles since the last fuel stop. I use the odometer to make bank on. I still don't put my full faith on the gauge or the fuel consumption computer onboard.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts