Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Roadmaster and when I filled the fuel tank last wk it shows I have 45 miles till its empty, so I road it about 60 miles now it shows 80 miles till empty whats the problem

·
Bronze member
5,088 Posts
The fuel level sender on my 2018 Springfield started to get erratic and was replaced under warranty. Your bike might be showing a similar tendency.

Another thought is that for a while there you were riding with a heavy throttle, such as a long ride up hill or at high speed into a headwind etc. The computer worked out the range according to that fuel consumption. Then the road flattened out or the wind dropped and consumption improved and the computer has different data to work with.

On the other hand, perhaps this is what happens when the price of crude goes into negative territory like it did two weeks ago. It's what we all hoped for. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel level sender on my 2018 Springfield started to get erratic and was replaced under warranty. Your bike might be showing a similar tendency.

Another thought is that for a while there you were riding with a heavy throttle, such as a long ride up hill or at high speed into a headwind etc. The computer worked out the range according to that fuel consumption. Then the road flattened out or the wind dropped and consumption improved and the computer has different data to work with.

On the other hand, perhaps this is what happens when the price of crude goes into negative territory like it did two weeks ago. It's what we all hoped for. :)
Thxs for the ideas

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If I have been doing a lot of in and around town riding, and then fill up and go for a long backroads ride, my fuel range will increase as I ride, for awhile, before it starts to go down again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I have been doing a lot of in and around town riding, and then fill up and go for a long backroads ride, my fuel range will increase as I ride, for awhile, before it starts to go down again.
Thx u but does it ever go back up to max mileage distance, another question I take it u have a roadmaster what is ur normal fuel range

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2020 Chieftain. It always resets (or has thus far - only have 1400mi so far) when I fill up......it reads 225 (or so...) till empty. What I dont like is when I have about 150-160 mi on the tank and it reads 45 mi till empty...it then just jumps to "low"fuel." I have not run it to empty yet to see just how long I can go... im getting about 37-38 mpg's. I have notice it fluctuate when I start it, it will read 90 mi to empty and as I ride it goes up (for example).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2020 Chieftain. It always resets (or has thus far - only have 1400mi so far) when I fill up......it reads 225 (or so...) till empty. What I dont like is when I have about 150-160 mi on the tank and it reads 45 mi till empty...it then just jumps to "low"fuel." I have not run it to empty yet to see just how long I can go... im getting about 37-38 mpg's. I have notice it fluctuate when I start it, it will read 90 mi to empty and as I ride it goes up (for example).
Thx you

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thx u but does it ever go back up to max mileage distance, another question I take it u have a roadmaster what is ur normal fuel range
I manually reset the TRIP 1 screen on the Ridecommand to track average mileage. The total range that is displayed on the speedometer resets automatically when I fill up, and goes back up to max distance until empty as calcualted based on miles ridden/fuel used. I can go around 250-300 miles on a tank of fuel, depending on riding style.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2018 Chieftain Limited. My fuel gauge will say 150 miles before empty when I start the bike. When I ride, the gas increases. So when I get to where I’m going it will now say 170 miles before empty, before I shut the bike down. When I start the bike it will say the true remaining gas 130 miles before empty. Until I ride it and the gas continues to go up. It’s still under warranty. Trying to make an appointment for the recall and this problem. its a pain going long distance because I don’t know how much gas I have left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts