Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rider
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The fuel gauge on my 2015 Chieftain, that was slow and inaccurate last summer, won’t go above 1/4 tank this spring. So my “Low Fuel” light comes on within 30 miles of fueling up. I’m sure there is a thread or two that deals with the problem but my searches have been to no avail. Can anyone direct me to them or let me know if there is an easy solution to the problem without dealer intervention? My dealership is closed due to Covid-19. I realize I can simply monitor the miles ridden but would prefer to have the gauge functioning.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
When my gauge started playing up the sensor unit was replaced under warranty. The service manager didn't think twice so perhaps he was aware that sometimes they fail. I think the sensor is part of the fuel pump, which makes it an expensive thing to replace.

I don't know why you can't find threads, there are many of them searching for 'fuel gauge'.
The first one here might be the same issue you are having.

·
Rider
1,073 Posts
I did a search for my fuel gauge issue that just cropped up today, not finding exact matches, some similar tho.

After I got the 2016 Chieftain out of Winter storage, I wanted to run as much storage fuel out before filling the tank, so I ran it pretty low, at fuel up this morning it showed 41 miles left at around 1/8 tank, so I gassed up and put 5.57 gallons in the tank, the gauge won't come up to Full, it's kinda sleepy or pokey and won't go past just above 3/4 tank. The Neutral Switch recall will be done next Friday at Sturgis, will the VCM reflash wake up my fuel gauge
?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts