Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple tanks ago I was riding at made it to a gas station with no miles left according to my gauge. I filled her up and only got 4.5 gallons. I know we have a 5.5 gallon tank. Yesterday I stopped and fueled when my She showed 40 miles to go and filled her up. I got a little under 4 gallons. My range showed 167 after topping her off. I rode bike home which was about a 30 mile ride and when I got home my range was still 167. Do you guys have issues with this as well. Something isn’t right? What range do you guys get with a full tank.

·
Not for much longer
391 Posts
When my fuel light comes on I usually have a gallon of gas left plus the 40 miles when the light comes on.

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
well your mileage is based off of the first mile and a average.... mine does the same thing... the increase or non-reduction is normal too.... you're putting in cold gas and with the heat of the motor as you're cruising it expands the gas

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Your gauge may or may not be accurate, but your range calculations by the computer are estimates at best. There are too many rapidly changing variables for it to be dead-on accurate all the time. It is best not to make it a habit to run the tank down very low because your fuel pump is liquid-cooled by the fuel itself. I probably can get 170 to 200 miles per tank if I am not pushing the bike hard. I generally look to refuel at approximately 1/4 tank.

·
Rider
471 Posts
I was just having this thought earlier. Coming home on the highway (low MPG at 80 MPH). Low fuel hit 30+ mi from next services and I wasn't worried.

I thought it was annoying that you lose range remaining but thought maybe Polaris did that by design so you you couldn't hold them accountable. As stated earlier range fluctuates based on many factors.

The gauge had no bars left with 17 mi to go. Pullled into the pump and out in 4.8 gallons. Can't remember if that is a record for me.

To the OP's question - it depends. Travelling back roads at 60 I have seen the range hit 250 and measured 50 MPG. On the highway today I came in at 37.7 MPG - giving a range showing 170 at best.

My feedback is to know your bike and trust your judgment. The calculations are fun, but I'll fuel up when I think I need to.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
On a long trip through AZ I was riding with a guy that worked at an Indian dealership. I started to panic about running out of gas because the last segment of my fuel gauge just went off on my 2018 Chieftain Limited. He casually told me that when the last segment of the fuel gauge goes out you still have 1 gallon left in the tank.

So it really doesn’t matter about your riding style or speed just know that when that last segment goes blank you have one gallon left so when that happens drive accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
a couple tanks ago I was riding at made it to a gas station with no miles left according to my gauge. I filled her up and only got 4.5 gallons. I know we have a 5.5 gallon tank. Yesterday I stopped and fueled when my She showed 40 miles to go and filled her up. I got a little under 4 gallons. My range showed 167 after topping her off. I rode bike home which was about a 30 mile ride and when I got home my range was still 167. Do you guys have issues with this as well. Something isn’t right? What range do you guys get with a full tank.
Mine does the same, I think it calculates / adjusts to your ride style, if you ride like a demon you might only get 20mpg, I ride like a pussy so get 43mpg.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My range will increase if I go on a long ride, as it usually shows in the 260 range when I am in and around town for work. It is actually pretty amusing to watch the range count UP for the first hour or so on a long weekend ride, and then when I fill up again the est. range will be over 300 miles. The inaccuracy of the fuel gauge and range estimate is one reason why I installed the touring console from the RM Elite, so that I have a slightly more accurate representation of how much fuel is left.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,336 Posts
Never had any Fuel gauge on a motorcycle that close to Accurate .. On my Chieftain when first get the light just takes a bit over 4 gallons ... But rather have the Fuel Light Early than late ..

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,727 Posts
I totally agree with you Jay. I don't mind at all for the light to come on that soon. What I do wish though is it would go back to what it thinks the range is rather than leave that darn low fuel warn displayed. That warning is worthless then. Some times I miss seeing the light when it comes on and would like to know what it thinks the range is. I've now ridden mine enough that the old reliable trip meter still gives me more info. They could show that range again with a very simple software update. That warning message is almost irritating.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Just fill your tank, take mileage, run a hundred or so miles, fill tank, take mileage, divide the gallons you used into your mileage and go by that, should never run out of gas if you know Really how many miles you get to a gallon. Whatcha gonna do if your gauge takes a time out while on the road?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bought the premium tour console when they marked it down half price. Now when the low light comes on I have a gauge to judge how much is in the tank. Since it gets it's reading from the same sensors they read the same. but they have been accurate. When the low light comes on I get 4.5 gallons in the tank. The most I put in the needle on the tank console was half way through the red and I got 5.0 gallons in. Don't want to get that close again.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I use my odometer it’s all I’ve ever used for the reason Jay said no consistency No accuracy to this system to many variables always changing. The reserve position on the old petcocks were the best total accuracy on what was left in your tank at that point. I get fuel at 180 miles and don’t pay attention to the other warnings. I know I’m not gonna run out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts