Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the good book says a minimum of 95RON to be run in the FTR. At 12.5 to 1 I would class this motor as high comp. Thruxton has been fully modified and runs at 13.8 to one. So I run 98RON in both at this point. Now I know you guys in the states have different fuel ratings (MON) I think but I also remember seeing RON on your pumps as well. So just a quick question, what fuel do you guys run. I was actually told by the dealer yesterday that I should run 95 instead of 98. Bike runs fine now and 98 for my money works well. Your thoughts?
⛽👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
215 Posts
So the good book says a minimum of 95RON to be run in the FTR. At 12.5 to 1 I would class this motor as high comp. Thruxton has been fully modified and runs at 13.8 to one. So I run 98RON in both at this point. Now I know you guys in the states have different fuel ratings (MON) I think but I also remember seeing RON on your pumps as well. So just a quick question, what fuel do you guys run. I was actually told by the dealer yesterday that I should run 95 instead of 98. Bike runs fine now and 98 for my money works well. Your thoughts?
⛽👍😎🇦🇺
I use 94 octane, that's 94 in North America, the "(R+M)/2" method. This translates to 98 Euro RON, according to this chart.

The 94 has no ethanol added.

·
Rider
1,190 Posts
Here in California we get no more than 91 octane at the major pumps, and it typically has up to 10% ethanol in it. We like our vehicles to party, I guess...big improvement over MTBE.

·
Registered
567 Posts
murr2k beat me to it... I use 93 with ethanol or 95 no-ethanol without problems of pre-ignition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been wondering and now seems as good a time as any to ask... What is everyone's thoughts on octane booster?The highest we have around here is 93 (US) and most places only have 91, And no one has pure gasoline here except the Farmer's Coop which is probably 1/2 tank or more to get to and back. I am forced to run 91-93 with 10% ethanol.. Never used Octane boost before so have no idea of its benefits and hazards

·
Silver member
5,260 Posts
It does close to nothing. Read the instructions and you'll find out it raises the octane value by 3 points. That's decimals. So 91 becomes 91.3....

Btw, one of the main ingredients of many octane boosters is........ ethanol.

Our bikes run fine on 10E in 91 grade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. I get 93 when I can (maybe 30% of the time) and non-ethanol when I can (almost never) and I guess that will have to be good enough.

·
Registered
83 Posts
VP has a 101 octane pump in Paso Robles, CA. Filled up a full tank and didn't notice much of a difference but i didn't have high expectations. Just figured it would be nice to run some high quality fuel every now and then... I think you can get into issues running race fuel and having a catalytic converter(s) but I doubt that's the issue as they probably wouldn't be selling that fuel at a public pump?

Anyway, next tank I filled up on 91, shortly after tried to pass someone in 4th and my bike went into some sort of limp mode and threw a code related to 'throttle body not able to complete command requested'. I'm totally paraphrasing that as I didn't take a picture of the error code/message. It was definitely startling as the bike was running on 1 cylinder I think.... made a 'loping' noise

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found a fuel station nearby with several pumps that have dedicated 91 octane ethanol free handles. Its the only place I fill up, unless I travel out of the immediate area. Then I preplan pit stops at stations that have dedicated 91 octane ethanol free handles.

·
Bronze member
2,033 Posts
Yup modern fi bikes don’t mind e10. I’ve done several tanks of efree and e10 in several bikes. It doesn’t make a difference.

They also don’t recognize race fuel as its overkill.

Tour typical pump high test you put in a car is perfect for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am honestly more concerned with the dedicated handle. I don't enjoy the thought of paying for 91 octane and filling 1/3 to 1/2 of my fuel tank with 85 octane. I simply enjoy the idea of using the best fuel available.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All fuel here has 10% ethanol anyway minimum. 98 is the best hi octane fuel we can get at the pump. Shell does a supposed 100 but it has never been as good as Caltex 98 which I run most of the time anyway. E10 here is normally frowned upon in any vehicle unless it has the E10 sticker. Our old falcon said you could run it but after a tank full and it running like a dog we never bothered again.. well good to get your input. Thanks guys and girls 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Bronze member
2,033 Posts
I am honestly more concerned with the dedicated handle. I don't enjoy the thought of paying for 91 octane and filling 1/3 to 1/2 of my fuel tank with 85 octane. I simply enjoy the idea of using the best fuel available.
Ethanol in a fi engine isn’t your Enemy. If e85 was more available here I would run it in all my vehicles. It’s a free 50hp

Can’t wait for flex fuel bikes to become a thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've always wondered when there is not a dedicate handle, how much of the "old fuel" vs your actual selection that you're really getting.

Not that I've ever had any fueling issues, but a curious thought on what you're actually paying for when you're only pumping a total of 2.8 gallons.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts