Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost have the engine cranked for the first time, I was able to get spark and it acts like it wants to turn over when I spray starter in the carb.

I found a busted fuel line going to the fuel filter and replaced it, but it seems to fuel is getting past the fuel filter...time to replace it...

Here is where the problem comes in.......I cannot find one anywhere local. Does anyone have an suggestions of another fuel filter I can use that will not cause too much back pressure?

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
Just toss out the fuel filter and feed the gas directly into the carb. Mine Gilly is 20 years old and I have never had a fuel filter on my carb.

Clean the petcock and ride on. It really is a simple design.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions, My fuel line did not end up being the problems, so maybe you have more Ideas. I may start this as a new thread because of the topic changes.

Backstory: I am attempting to get running a bike my uncle gave me right before he died. 2001 Indian Scout.

He bought it in 01, put 1k miles on it, and then it has sat.

I replaced the fuel line and fuel filter.
I cleaned the Carb bottom out, made sure the float was working and cleaned the jets. This fixed my first problem.
I replaced the Throttle and Return/Idle Cable, I did not do this correctly and it is sticking, but I will get back to that once I get the thing started.
Replaced the spark plugs and ensured the .040 gap

Current Issue:
If I give it some gas to prime it, it fires up, eat the gas then cuts out.
If I do not give it any gas to prime it, the starter just turns over with no spark of fuel.

Here is a video.

Can someone point me the in next direction of troubleshooting, or tell me how I can tell if gas is coming out of the idle jet thing????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts