Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first 2500 miles on my 2014 Vintage I averaged 45 miles per gallon. I then removed the plugs from my stock mufflers, and over the next 1200 miles I averaged just over 49 miles per gallon..... An improvement of some 8%. (I was running on 95 octane unleaded gas). How does this compare with your experience?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I haven't knocked the plugs out of mine.
I'm getting 39mpg without having reset my fuel consumption computer in 7,000 miles.
So, ya got me beat on this one.

At 6'5" tall and tipping the scale at 375lbs I do present a wide frontal area.
Although my body is the perfect streamlined shape.
Tapered at both ends and wide in the middle.
Like a turd.

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it's the weight BG... I'm 6'4" and 210 pounds... More eel than turd shaped....

·
Registered
299 Posts
95 octane??? I WISH!!!! The best I can find in my area is 91 octane, and if I drive 25 miles, I can get 91 Octane without ethanol. I get right at 40 mpg.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First 1000 miles averaged 49 mpg (mph about 70). Second 1000 miles 46 mpg (mph 80-90). As I get more comfortable on my Classic the faster I tend to ride. Same with the motorhome if I drive the speed limit (70 mph) I get 6 mpg, at 55 mph I get 10 mpg. But who really cares - riding my bike is my path to great mental health.

·
Registered
723 Posts
45mpg. Excellent. I'm at 41 on a good day with the phase ! exhaust and download. Granted I am no small person but up to 49mpg is unachievable for me. You win.

95 octane reminds me of the sixties. Nothing in the states at the pump can compete with that except at an airport.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Interestingly (or not) the display has been averaging right around 44 to 46. Hand calculated it is closer to 48-50. First vehicle I have had that wasn't over optimistic on fuel economy display. Put some soft lowers on the highway bars and lost 2 MPG. Usually bodging along on 2 lane here-she drinks a bit more on the freeway at 75-80...

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95 octane??? I WISH!!!! The best I can find in my area is 91 octane, and if I drive 25 miles, I can get 91 Octane without ethanol. I get right at 40 mpg.
We can get 91, 95 and 98 octane at many gas stations in Australia. I find that although the higher octanes cost more, they give me better mileage and better performance. I found this with both the Vintage and also the Wing that I previously owned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Average on the display says 40.9 combination city-highway not reset for 1700 miles. Has stage 1 exhaust and computer flash. Acceptable to me. Didn't buy it for the gas milage. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
I just got back from a wonderful evening ride.

I filled the tank up 99.9 miles ago. I just topped the tank off and it took 1.7 gallons of fuel to top off.

Honest *****. :)

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
The best I got for a day's riding (in the Black Hills) was 54 point something. Today riding on a cold windy day I got 46 one way and 32 on the way back. I just watch the fuel gauge mostly and fill up when needed. It just doesn't matter too much to me.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
The problem there is like 65 different gasoline blends in USA. Thanks to the EPA there is so much junk blended in the gas. I think it's more about the fuel your using. Reset mine every fill up getting like 39-43 MPG average. Milwaukee, Wisconsin has crappy gas because we get Chicago's air pollution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took a ride up on the parkway Saturday. Averaged 43.7 on first tank, that's riding pretty aggressively getting to the mountains burning 92 oct. non-ethanol. Filled up at Meadows of Dan with more 92 oct. non-ethanol. From then until I returned home and filled up I averaged 44.9

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
The problem there is like 65 different gasoline blends in USA. Thanks to the EPA there is so much junk blended in the gas. I think it's more about the fuel your using. Reset mine every fill up getting like 39-43 MPG average. Milwaukee, Wisconsin has crappy gas because we get Chicago's air pollution.
Not sure what the blend is in NE Dallas Eddie? I buy the 93 (advertised) octane. I was quite surprised with 58.7 per gallon!! My driving is "casual cruising" though, no drag racing Harleys or mountainous terrain.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Looking at Government Accountability Office website. There is 55 different gasoline blends in USA. Designed to reduce VOCs and NOx and require the use of a oxygenate like ethanol to reduce carbon monoxide. The Clean Air Act allows states to use special blends to meet air pollution standards. 30% of USA gas is reformulated and has lower BTU content. It complicats supply leading to higher prices. Chicago has it's own gas blend. St. Louis Mo. has it's own blend but East St. Louis Il. across the Mississippi river is different. There is lots of info on this subject on EPAs website. Sorry for sounding like a nerd but working in electric power generation very familiar with EPA air permit requirements. Octane does not boost power. It only allows your engine to reach the performance it was designed to operate at. Using a higher octane than required will do nothing to increase power.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
I'm sure there is a special formula for the DFW metroplex as well.

Does octane effect mileage Eddie? I read through this thread and see octane metioned a few times.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Amonton's gas law states that pressure and temperature is directly proportional. As you increase pressure [compression] temperature will also increase. Lower octane fuel can ignite without spark [knocking]if your pressure and temperature suddenly increases during acceleration. Higher octane fuel will not burn as completly during non-load conditions [idling and low speeds] This means you need more to compensate. There is a map of all regions in country that use reformulated gas. Dallas/Ft Worth,Houston,All of California,East Coast,Chicago,Milwaukee. Good to know on your next road trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am getting 31-34 mpg city stop n go...with 91oct. On chief classic.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
Are you using the electronic dash readout to calculate or are you using mileage divided by gallons?

The wife drives a Lincoln and it has a readout that calculates mpg, miles to empty, etc., and that thing sucks!! When it switches to mile to empty I can drive one mile, stop light to stop light, and it will indicate I've driven 3 miles. I don't trust any of those electronic mpg or dte info readouts.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm sure there is a special formula for the DFW metroplex as well.

Does octane effect mileage Eddie? I read through this thread and see octane metioned a few times.
I wish I could find the article I read the other day, but I also heard the same info on the way to work today on a podcast called "Cleveland moto.com Vintage Motorcycle Talk" - It is a good podcast from guys who buy cheap, small bikes and rebuild them. Good stuff.

Anyhow, the example used to describe the difference in octanes is if you put 87 octane in a pie pan and 91 octane in another pie pan, and you were to approach each with a lit match, the 87 octane would ignite sooner. The logic that started the octane thing in the US was cars in the 60s, 70s, and 80s would begin to knock as the gaskets loosened and the cars became older. Think of the old shows where a guy drives a beater and he gets out, and the car is still chugging for a few seconds.

The higher flash point of higher octane fuel prevents this preignition condition . . . it retards the ignition of the fuel - it has to be held to the spark for longer in order to ignite. This solved the problem of knocking engines back in the day.

I have switched to 91 octane since it is only a 15 cent decision for my 3.3 gallon tank, and I have noticed NO difference in gas mileage that could be shown on a consistent basis. I did get better gas mileage on a couple of tanks, but over 5,000 miles, I have not seen my average mileage raise enough to warrant concern if I get 87 octane instead.

I know that the manual says to ONLY use high octane, and if low octane is all that is available, get as little as possible, and at the next stop to fuel up with high octane. It also says to use only 1/3 throttle during the first part of break-in (I don't want to start a break-in arguement) and other debatable practices.

I believe that if you switch to 87 octane for 1000 miles you would not see significant differences in performance or mileage. However, Ethanol in the gas is a bigger issue. . . and a different topic. However, I think most modern vehicles are able to handle Ethanol gas up to E20 . . . I don't recall on the Indian what the manual says, but I bought my wife a Ford Flex and it states in the manual that it is rated to take up to E20, while most pumps are only producing E15 now.

For those who aren't aware, Ethanol is corn oil, and it destroys classic vehicles from carburetor parts to fuel hoses, fuel pumps, etc. Newer vehicles are supposedly made to withstand corn oil.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts