Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched forum and found only one post about fuel consumption, where reviewer indicated 32mpg during break-in then higher thereafter. I am curious to know what sort of range and mpg the Chieftain gets for touring. And is there any known spare fuel carrier that works with the Chieftain. I know about Rotopax stackable extra fuel containers, but they would look very ugly on a Chieftain or any cruiser, their appearance is more for adventure tourers.

2nd question, does anyone have Dirty Bird Concepts' Peace Pipe 2-into-1 side cut exhaust installed, and if so how do you like it?

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
It always depends upon your speed and elevation. For me out here in northern cali i have gone as far as 205 miles cruising along at 55-65 and put in 4.8 gallons into my Chieftains tank.

Last week did 220 miles and used 5.2 gallons. My fuel gauge was below the zero and I was really thinking I was gonna have to walk real soon. Obvioulsy the gauge is a bit off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am averaging 43 MPG, combination local backroads and highway. On highway, as speeds go up over 65-70, MPG drops a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see 42 most of the time, some Az freeway (75-80) some around town. With a 5.5 gallon tank you can expect at least a 200 mile range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I rid in the city I get 42-43 mpg. When I am cruising along at 75 with cruise on on the interstate I get 39.1 and depending on weather conditions have gotten as high 41, but in the 2.5 months I have ahd the bike and the 2450 miles I have ridden my overall average is 39.1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lower your windshield , good for 2-3 mpg's :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn,
I ride at 75 - 90 all the time when I can. I rode a Chief Vintage in Sturgis last week & I was impressed & I'm thinking a new one next year. My 2004 RK Custom gets 50mpg regularly if I milk it running 60 - 65 I'll get 55+
I suppose I could live with 40 cause I loved the power, smooth & balance of the Indian .

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
you're all very lucky. no one rides 65 mph. at 80 I am lucky to get 30mpg.
Well I've got two points on my license and f'in AAA almost doubled my car insurance premium so I'm not looking for another ticket!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am getting upwards of 42+ at hwy running and slightly less at the stop and go to work, be of mind though that I live out in the country and the 12 miles to work only has 3 stop signs and 3 roundabouts. I have a chieftain so I can get constant mileage which can range from 17.6 under hard accelleration to 99.9 on decelleration, I don't think it read any higher. I don't think I ever got as low as 32 even in break in period. All depends on how you drive it, I am not hard on it, but neither am I fearthering the throttle anytime, I would buy a Prius if I were worried about mileage.
2nd question I have stage one pipes from Indian and they're loud enough for me. I like them just loud enough for the police to look at you, but not loud enough to pull you over. Big fine in Wi for loud pipes and nothing but a hassle of having to take them off and go back to stock. There are louder, check out the Bassani thread for a different solution to your question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info on the pipes. I mainly ask about mileage because of distance touring...... trips to the western states. Fueling points get fewer and farther between out there. Not if you stick to the slabs, but what fun is that, the secondary rd's are where the fun is. Regions like the Big Bend area of west Texas come to mind.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well here's another thing I have noticed. My gas gauge is not entirely correct, it seems to show empty and there's probably still a gallon left in her Keep in mind it's a 55 cu in per cylinder motor and I don't think it was built with gas mileage in mind, but it is a gas to ride. I can see your concern from driving out west at times. It holds 5.5 gallons if I remember right and that would equal 220+ before you were on fumes, your butt will asking for a rest before the tank runs out or at least mine would. I like to stop every 100 to 125 miles anyway and the time to fill up is a perfect amount of rest for it. I have an Air Hawk, but have not used it on this bike yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found that out as well by lowering the screen, mileage improved by 2 mpg. I get 41-42 in the Phoenix heat on some freeway and back roads.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I was averaging 48mpg on a desert run from LA, to Reno, To Vegas, to Utah, to Phoenix and back to LA. Speed varied from 65-80mph

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,038 Posts
Howdy Folks,
I am averaging 39 mpg doing mostly highway riding at 70-80 mph with the windshield most often in the lowest position. I have 14,000 miles on the bike so it is well broken in. I saw a slight improvement in fuel economy after installing Indian's performance mufflers and re-map. How much I romp on the throttle has an effect. I live in the Big Bend and my advice is get gas when you can; I do.
--- Randall

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just running around on the highway at typical highway speeds, I get between 41 and 43 MPG (17.43 - 18.3 kpl) on my Chieftain. It drops when I am just running around town to 35 mpg (14.96 kpl). I am still less than 1K miles ( 1609 km) on the clock, so I expect it to improve over time.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I noticed that some folks are using the AVG indicated on the display, until you put pen to paper our actual mileage may very a lot.

·
Rider
555 Posts
On my trip last August to Glacier NP (4,200 miles), the range with my Chieftain was 41-45 mpg: depending on terrain, wind, and speed. I don't have a need for speed, so most of the open road cruising was between 65 and 70 mph. Riding around town and out in the flatlands of NW Ohio, I average around 40 mpg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts