Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got a 2015 chief classic and i took the fuel cap off yesterday, today it turns but will not release so it's stuck on. anyone ever see this and how do I get it off? it's the stock cap on the right side (as your riding). it seems loose, even when the tightening ratchets clicking. Seems likes it's on but not threaded, but not sure what's going on. any help is appreciate.
d

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
You have got to overcome the friction of the very dry rubber gasket.
Had the same problem on a Honda recently.
Like to have never got mine off.
Lots of muscle involved. Dry rubber against dry metal.
Maybe slosh some gas in the tank to moisten the gasket if the tank has enough gas?
A small amount of WD-40 might relieve the friction?????

Just lube the hell out of the rubber when you get it open.

M

·
Rider
724 Posts
My gas cap became very loose and rattled terribly. I think some of the plastic ratchet tabs broke which allowed the chrome outer cap to flop around.. However, I never had a problem getting it off. I ended up getting a warranty replacement. While waiting for the warranty replacement to come in, I got a lockable aftermarket cap that looks identical to the stock cap, but can be locked.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Hi,
Just got a 2015 chief classic and i took the fuel cap off yesterday, today it turns but will not release so it's stuck on. anyone ever see this and how do I get it off? it's the stock cap on the right side (as your riding). it seems loose, even when the tightening ratchets clicking. Seems likes it's on but not threaded, but not sure what's going on. any help is appreciate.
d
Not the LEFT cap is it? Not meant to come off.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My gas cap became very loose and rattled terribly. I think some of the plastic ratchet tabs broke which allowed the chrome outer cap to flop around.. However, I never had a problem getting it off. I ended up getting a warranty replacement. While waiting for the warranty replacement to come in, I got a lockable aftermarket cap that looks identical to the stock cap, but can be locked.
Can you please provide info on the locking gas cap you found? Thanks for any info!

Kathy

·
Registered
5,920 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
I was going to suggest lightly and carefully warming-up the gas cap with a small blow torch so that it would expand and loosen a bit and be able to come off easier...
.JUST KIDDING :cool:. But I was going to suggest heating-up a small towel in your microwave to as hot as you can stand it, then quickly wrapping it around your gas cap, hopefully to get the same warming/expanding/loosening effect. I've seen that work in other similar circumstances. Glad you got it off!

·
Rider
724 Posts
Can you please provide info on the locking gas cap you found? Thanks for any info!

Kathy
This is the cap that I bought. There were comments earlier in this thread about vented vs. non vented. This is a vented cap and is what you want. There is a thread somewhere on here talking about vented and non vented caps, and someone mentioned that a vented cap will leak. I can tell you that all fuel injected tanks need a vented cap, or a vented gas flange, or else they could theoretically crush due to vacuum as the gas is depleted. I live in TX and fill my tank to the top all the time and never had a leak. In fact I just filled up on my way home from work today and it is 103 degrees outside and there is no leakage. This cap looks identical to the factory cap other than a swivel disc on top that covers the keyhole.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
You have got to overcome the friction of the very dry rubber gasket.
Had the same problem on a Honda recently.
Like to have never got mine off.
Lots of muscle involved. Dry rubber against dry metal.
Maybe slosh some gas in the tank to moisten the gasket if the tank has enough gas?
A small amount of WD-40 might relieve the friction?????

Just lube the hell out of the rubber when you get it open.

M
There you go with that friction. I told you your gonna start a fire.

giphy.gif

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is shown as compatible with HD, but not Indian. I would be very interested in any that actually fit our Indians.
Just an update.
I have been using the locking cap for the past couple of weeks. Brimmed the tank the other day and checked for leaks. It was hot day. No leaks. The cap has the same edging as the factory cap, so is a good match for the dummy cap. It takes a bit less screwing to fix in position, but stays put. The seal looked a bit different. So I pulled that off and used the original. The finish is really good. Great value and doesn’t rattle like my original.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Just an update.
I have been using the locking cap for the past couple of weeks. Brimmed the tank the other day and checked for leaks. It was hot day. No leaks. The cap has the same edging as the factory cap, so is a good match for the dummy cap. It takes a bit less screwing to fix in position, but stays put. The seal looked a bit different. So I pulled that off and used the original. The finish is really good. Great value and doesn’t rattle like my original.

I would be keeping that cap even after you get your replacement warranty cap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts