Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've noticed and issue with my gas cap unlock. I hit the button but all I get is a soft click and it doesn't unlock. I've tried it a half of dozen different times and only been successful twice. The first time I put some pressure on the cap and messed with the latch and finally got the full clunk sound. My guess is that something is binding up the solenoid but nothing looks like it's misaligned. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Push the button then the tab above the cap.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
  1. My very first fill up I did the same thing. I panicked. Pushed the button like 3 X and then I discovered by accident that I had to tap the little black tab on the cap and have never had an issue since.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can hear the difference between the unlock presses that releases the latch and those that don't. I'll lube it up a bit to see if that helps.

Sandspur, where did you lube the saddlebags?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I finally had some time to mess with it. I'm almost wondering if the part is bad. I lubed it up a bit but it didn't seem to help. I took a video to show what's going on. May have to turn the volume up to hear how weak the click is.

So far, it's only worked 2 times since I've gotten the bike. Have a feeling I'm going to have to call for service.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I played with it some more and got it working after exercising it a few times. Unfortunately as soon as I put a little pressure on it, it stopped working again. I lubed it up well too but when I try to move it by hand, it feels like it pulls harder than it should.

I called my dealer and they're going to take a look at it when I do my 500 mile service.

·
Rider
842 Posts
I watched the video and every time you pushed the button the solenoid clicked. Then I assume you pushed the tab down and the cap pops open.
If that's not the case please explain exactly what is not working. Do you press down on the front of the cap when you push the release tab.
You are most assuredly aware that the lid does not pop open when you push the lock / unlock button .

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can assure you I've read the owners manual on how to manually open the cap incase the lock doesn't work. If I do that, it opens right up.

If you look closely in the video, the silver piece doesn't move. In the position it's in, it prevents the top spring loaded button from being pushed. When it works, it slides up and moves out of the way. It's not in this video but I removed the solonoid from the mount and with no pressure it still doesn't work. When I manually move it to the correct position then back, it'll work. I reset it a few times and it stayed working. I reset again and just touched the silver piece and it wouldn't work again.

@sandspur_ if you go to your challenger and try it, you'll notice the click sound is much more pronounced than what's in the video.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Go to the indian dealer and let the ser ice guy open the cap while you watch. If he can't do it or it is extra hard he will open up a warranty file with Polaris. They will either give him a fix or order the part. Don't wait for your 500 mile service. You dont want to get stuck at a gas station with no way to open the tank.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. The timing is terrible unfortunately. The dealer is an hour away and they just instituted a state wide quarantine.

I looked at the parts list and the whole unit is one part. I'll get it into the dealer as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
My dealer is 300 miles away. With all the shut downs, the service department t should be open. Polaris can ship the part. If you are like 80% of the rest of us, there will be a lot of time spent just sitting around with everything shut down. Think about it.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll see what I can fit in. I work remotely any way so this is sort of business as usual other than the fact the kids are home. Scary times...

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Went for a nice ride yesterday and had to get gas. Much to my surprise it opened right up. There was some noise around so I never heard the "click." When I got home, I messed with it more and it turns out it just failed open and doesn't automatically lock any more.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another update: In May, I called the dealer and they ended up deciding to order the part and replace in under warranty. They were supposed to call me when it came in but I never got a call. In June, I went to get gas and the tank was locked. The issue turned out to be temperature dependent. Once it got above about 65° F, it would unlock with about 5 or 8 presses. Once it got above 85° F, it was 2-3. Now that it's got cooler again, I was having the press the button a lot more than I should. I happened to be at my dealer for the demo day so I went to the service dept and asked if they got the part in. The guy went to the shelf and there was my part, sitting waiting on me to magically realize it was there. They got me in and got it switched out and not work flawlessly. Unlocks on the first press of the button and locks when started, just like it should.

Just wanted to follow up so everyone knows the full story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts