Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
Those of us in fly-over states can have a long ways between gas stations. And if that one station in the one-horse town is closed, it is camping time.

So to have a bit of emergency fuel, I have been looking for something to go into a saddlebag and found Touratech 2 Liter. Has anyone used one of these?

Thank you!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yay! I am so happy to find people that have solved this problem.

Does the Givi or Lixada leave any sort of smell inside the saddlebag?

Thank you Jonty03 and Ferraiolo1!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am interested in this as well. I have had plastic fuel jugs build pressure because of rising temperatures and spilt the plastic at its seams and leak. I’m not sure that plastic will hold up even locked up in my saddle bags while sitting in the hot sun. The metal fuel bottle looks promising but it’s so small as 1500 ml is only .4 gallons. My tank capacity is half compared to the guys I ride with but they have older bladders so stopping more often helps my refueling situation.

Tim

·
Bronze member
2,018 Posts
I use these for dual sport rides in the mountains.

Lixada Fuel Bottle Petrol Alcohol Liquid Gas Oil Bottle Outdoor Camping No-Leak Safety Gas Can Oil Container Extra Emergency Backup Fuel Tank 500ML / 750ML / 1000ML / 1500ML https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCH8NSB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_369rEbRYB21MM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve used these type of MSR fuel bottles for reserve fuel for decades now.
I would never ever carry fuel in a plastic container on my bike. You are just asking for a potential disaster.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a choice in aluminum 2L, I found this in my search.

Although cylinders don't use the space in a saddle bag very efficiently.

·
Rider
756 Posts
Howdy,
Those of us in fly-over states can have a long ways between gas stations. And if that one station in the one-horse town is closed, it is camping time.

So to have a bit of emergency fuel, I have been looking for something to go into a saddlebag and found Touratech 2 Liter. Has anyone used one of these?

Thank you!

View attachment 575900
Get the aluminum fuel bottles, plastic ain’t safe enough. I use 2, 750 ml , one in each saddle bag. 50 more miles can be just enough to reach a gas station. The 5.3 tank on the softail got to 210 before reserve, 115-125 just don’t cut it,,, so any fuel bottle is good.

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
Agree with using aluminum, or stainless, no plastic, especially since it is sitting right over your exhaust. I use a plastic rotopax on some bikes but they are mounted externally and are quick release, you could mount a one gallon rotopax easily to a luggage rack.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The more I research this topic the more I back away from carrying spare bottles of fuel made of plastic or aluminum in my saddle bags. None of these aluminum bottles have pressure relief valves so when sitting in your saddle bag in the hot sun it will start to pressurize and build pressure. I'm sure the companies that make these bottles (looks like the chinese) have a warning about heat/pressure and transporting gasoline in an unapproved container (not sure their is such a thing these days). I noticed some fill lines on the sides of the bottle so at least they are trying to put in some gas space otherwise the liquid fuel would become "hydraulic" and blow out the weakest link (probably the molded bottom of the aluminum can). Even if you carried it outside the saddle bags the direct sunlight would really heat it up so it would still need a pressure relief. They made a small molded plastic gas can for this purpose a few years ago but they have since been discontinued......I wonder why? No one has said anything about the rubber fuel bladders yet? Anyone with any experience in that area pertaining to motorcycles?

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please don't use plastic bottles for volatile fluids. I use Amazon.com : MSR Liquid Fuel Bottle, 30 Ounce : Empty Camping Stove Fuel Bottles : Sports & Outdoors, designed for safe fuel storage. Fits nicely in saddle bag.
well, i'm not sure that i trust amazon ever since they sold me fake memory sticks that wouldn't work, and they billed me for prime without telling me. i don't shop at amazon anymore. a few people there were complaining that the caps to those aluminum cans were defective
if hd sold msr fuel bottles, i would trust them more. i'll duckduckgo msr fuel bottles, and see what comes up

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
The more I research this topic the more I back away from carrying spare bottles of fuel made of plastic or aluminum in my saddle bags. None of these aluminum bottles have pressure relief valves so when sitting in your saddle bag in the hot sun it will start to pressurize and build pressure. I'm sure the companies that make these bottles (looks like the chinese) have a warning about heat/pressure and transporting gasoline in an unapproved container (not sure their is such a thing these days). I noticed some fill lines on the sides of the bottle so at least they are trying to put in some gas space otherwise the liquid fuel would become "hydraulic" and blow out the weakest link (probably the molded bottom of the aluminum can). Even if you carried it outside the saddle bags the direct sunlight would really heat it up so it would still need a pressure relief. They made a small molded plastic gas can for this purpose a few years ago but they have since been discontinued......I wonder why? No one has said anything about the rubber fuel bladders yet? Anyone with any experience in that area pertaining to motorcycles?

Tim
This makes perfect sense. Pressure build up due to heat... potentially, somethings gonna give, eventually.

·
Rider
651 Posts
Been doing it for years, no problem. In fact, I tested it by putting a full (to the line) bottle in direct summer sun on the hot driveway for a couple of hours. No leaking. These things are made for this and manufacturer would be out of business if they were unsafe. As to amazon... no comment.

·
Registered
183 Posts
yes, I keep two msr bottles on my bike and haven't had any problems. i just fill them up to the fill line for the pressure issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts