Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Why would you get gunk in your oil after 1000 miles?
Because a filter doesn't always clean out the thicker mucousy clumps of oil and they collect on side walls, static parts, things like that.. over the lifespan of the vehicle (this bike has done 72000 km, 20k of them by me over 6 months) but oil changes only take out the free moving oil. that's why you can get oil flushes which are supposed to help dissolve the static clumps.

I do know that the oil went from Amber translucent to Dark translucent grey within a week of putting the stuff in
Now when I tap some off to do a check it's opaque black... Time to change.

Attorney rate it definitely did seem to make my bike quieter and it just felt 'happier'.. I can't say I really noticed any performance gains

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
@Davetac1 You can add 1 ounce per quart of oil to clean the engine. It is on the label for seafoam. I said I was putting it in my truck. I would not put it in the bike since the trans and engine run off the same oil. I have put it in my twin cam right before an oil change to help clean it out a bit.

Here is a link if you don't believe me:

I emailed the seafoam people and was told it is perfectly safe to put in a wet clutch motorcycle all it is is a little light engine oil some naptha which coach the clumps and makes them break off from where they're stuck and a little bit of alcohol to assist with that.

I did keep the email saying that is perfectly safe so there's anything did happen to my bike's clutch I would have a legal claim against them.... But it's working perfectly

·
Registered
555 Posts
2 cycle outboard oil in all gas engines. Not in oil, but in gas. I've been doing this in everything from snow blower, to my '65 El Camino, including my '14 Chieftain since new. In case this is being read by darkside doubters and flat earthers, here is 57 pages of endorsement. Been testing Oil My mom said don't do this.....sorry mom. :sneaky: Been doing this for over 7 years.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I emailed the seafoam people and was told it is perfectly safe to put in a wet clutch motorcycle all it is is a little light engine oil some naptha which coach the clumps and makes them break off from where they're stuck and a little bit of alcohol to assist with that.

I did keep the email saying that is perfectly safe so there's anything did happen to my bike's clutch I would have a legal claim against them.... But it's working perfectly
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear. I have used it in my HD because the engine is separate from the trans and primary. Once I get a few more miles on the Indian I will give it a try.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I don't know! I've never heard of anyone adding 2 cycle oil to the gas on a four stroke motor application,til now!!And I too have worked in the marine industry. But as I mentioned,every now and then,I add a couple oz. of the Marvel Mystery oil to the gas in a four stoke application which I believe is basically the same thing as what you're suggesting,except you're using 2 cycle oil and I'm using Marvel Mystery oil,so I think we're both on the same page here!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't use additives other than sometimes fuel stabilizer. Anything made past about 1980 runs so much cleaner and has better metallurgy that it doesn't need that stuff. My 1991 GMC Sonoma that I bought new in the fall of 1990 is still running good without ever adding anything and it has never had anything done to it outside of normal wear and tear items.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have found that making sure I consistantly run Top Tier fuel really does a nice job in keeping carbon deposits on valves and pistons to almost non-existent as well as maintaining injectors. That as well as following OEM recommendations concerning proper octane levels works for me..

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have found that making sure I consistantly run Top Tier fuel really does a nice job in keeping carbon deposits on valves and pistons to almost non-existent as well as maintaining injectors. That as well as following OEM recommendations concerning proper octane levels works for me..
I don't know it's like in America but all the top tier fuels over here already have those additives in them.
I think Caltex uses techron then you've got vortex and you've got 'something' plus.
Virtually all of our 95 and 98 octane fuel have got the additives in them

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Not a 111 or 116, but I ran some seafoam in my Fuel and oil on my 125 cube Kwaka...
Top end rattle from the HLA went away, engine felt a good deal smoother and cleaner running.
Been in oil about 1000 miles, some 1600+km, so time to do oil change and get any suspended gunk out.
On the 125 the issue was the pressed in filter media that is in the end of the rocker shafts. They were too restrictive and starved the top end of oil and caused the issue on the HLAs. The only real fix was to remove those rocker shafts and drill a #80 wire bit thru the center of the filter media. Not sure what Kawi was thinking in that design. I know many 2000 Owners that had issues and had the HLAs replaced under warranty only to come back later. It was too bad, the 125 was one heck of a motor. Would have been a much better choice for Kawi to use that engine in the Voyager. It is just a great V twin touring engine. I miss mine. Dean

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Been and always will be a big fan of Seafoam. I use it in all my two stroke stuff and add it for the first few tanks on the 111 each spring. The stuff just works wonders on keeping fuel stable and cleaning injectors. Dean

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
On the 125 the issue was the pressed in filter media that is in the end of the rocker shafts. They were too restrictive and starved the top end of oil and caused the issue on the HLAs. The only real fix was to remove those rocker shafts and drill a #80 wire bit thru the center of the filter media. Not sure what Kawi was thinking in that design. I know many 2000 Owners that had issues and had the HLAs replaced under warranty only to come back later. It was too bad, the 125 was one heck of a motor. Would have been a much better choice for Kawi to use that engine in the Voyager. It is just a great V twin touring engine. I miss mine. Dean
The concept of a filter you can't clean or easily replace... Nuts!

But the seafoam definitely did something to clear any clumpy mucousy oil.
Quieter, still a faint feathery flutter like two light weight crab claws clicking shut very fast but not the heavy clat-a-clat it had

Am happy with mine, just ticked 70000km, 20k of mine since mid July last year.
Still on new rear tyre they gave me in the price, I don't squeal away... She has had a few rip her open take offs 0 to 100 kmh in about 3 seconds, I just don't do the laying down rubber thing, tyres are not cheap!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Before you think this is crazy, I KNOW fuel additives can improve performance in the motor of a car. Are any of you using additive in your 111? If so, what would you recommend please?
I can’t speak of additives but when possible I put ethanol free gas in mine and my performance and mpg improves considerably.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know! I've never heard of anyone adding 2 cycle oil to the gas on a four stroke motor application,til now!!And I too have worked in the marine industry. But as I mentioned,every now and then,I add a couple oz. of the Marvel Mystery oil to the gas in a four stoke application which I believe is basically the same thing as what you're suggesting,except you're using 2 cycle oil and I'm using Marvel Mystery oil,so I think we're both on the same page here!! Dave!!!
So I have just read most All of the posts and thought I would toss in my .02 worth.
I have been riding/racing motorcycles for over 50+ years and worked in the industry for approximately 8 years.
With the introduction of No Lead fuels and additives, it became real clear that with high compression engines we needed to add some sort of Octane boosters to reduce Knock/Ping. I agree with most of you about just using a good grade of fuel, Shell, Sunoco, Marathon etc. here in the midwest we have 3 choices 87 - 89 - 93 octane and all of these use up to and including 10% ETHANOL - Bad stuff for Motorcycles.
The manufactures recommend premium aka 91 octane to reduce the possibility of knock/ping. Recently some of the BP stations have 90 octane without ethanol. It does seem to burn cleaner and I have tried it in ALL Three of my motorcycles 2012 CVO 110 - 2015 BMW F700gs and in my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse. Now that being said I normally use 89 octane Shell gas 90% of the time and have never experienced any issues.
Now along with my Fill Ups I add a 3/4 oz of Klotz BeNol to every other tank to serve as an additive for Valve lubrication. I DO NOT notice any difference in Hp, acceleration or does it make run any Cooler. Just my own peace of mind.
There you have my humble opinion FWIW
Klotz.jpg

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have used USA Fuels, Gas Shock for 10 years in all my equipment. I had 150 gallons of unleaded ethanol mid grade fuel in my boat for a 6 months stretch and used it the next season with no problems.
I use it in my Challenger and it stopped the surging I would sometimes experience.
I had a twin cylinder lawnmower that would misfire when it started and it cured that condition.
Only use 1/2 oz. per 5 gallons.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts